Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Discussion] Semiotics Contents: Note/Numbers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yarvin
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannhaus wrote:
I think we have to assume that Tachyon was guessing as well. It doesn't make sense that Tachyon wouldn't know the meanings behind the symbols though.

Maybe Tachyon is a Watcher herself. That would explain why she knows the Watchers symbol. But if the Order keeps its branches divided from each other, she might not know the meaning of the others.

Maybe we should look at the characters as pictographs first. Watchers --> Eye. The Tau+Omicron could be a Sword+Shield, which would be a kind of "Knights of the Order." The Theta+Pi could be another branch similar to the Watchers, maybe kind of a Messengers group, since Pi is connected with speech.

However, I have to admit, now that it was brought it up a couple of comments back, I've never heard the world described as what lies "between the water and the sky," except in Genesis 1, but that has the same problem you, tannhaus, pointed out for the Egyptians: the Hebrews saw the sky as being made of water.
tannhaus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yarvin wrote:
However, I have to admit, now that it was brought it up a couple of comments back, I've never heard the world described as what lies "between the water and the sky," except in Genesis 1, but that has the same problem you, tannhaus, pointed out for the Egyptians: the Hebrews saw the sky as being made of water.

True..and they thought so because they lifted their story of creation almost verbatim from the Egyptians. If you read the book "101 Myths of the Bible", which is written by a Bible scholar, he points out how all the gods of the Egyptian creation myth are present in the Genesis account of creation just by the element they're the god of....so instead of the god of the wind...you'd have wind. Then you have Elohim being Eloah...a feminine word for goddess combined with im...a masculine plural. So, the word "elohim" actually means a group of male and female gods. But Elohim was the word used in Genesis when he says "Let us make man in our image". Of course, there are MANY more instances..you just have to read the book.

I mean, I don't expect them to be TOTALLY accurate with their background information. But, you'd think that if they're trying to make puzzles up concerning this information, they'd educate themselves to make sure they're not making obvious errors of fact.

I mean, if we're talking about the Egyptians and what the sun and water would mean to them, for the sun I would think Ra...the creator of life. For the water I would think of the Nile...the sustainer of life. Or, like this in Wikipedia:

<i>The sun was thought to travel in a boat, to protect its fires from the primordial waters (Nun) of the underworld it passed through during the night. Ra traveled in the sunboat with various gods, including Ma'at who guided the boat's course and Set and Mehen who defended against monsters in the underworld. These monsters included Apep, the serpent who tried to stop the sunboat's journey every day by consuming it. So, the Egyptians saw the sunrise as the rebirth of the sun through Nut, the sky, and thus attributed the concept of rebirth and renewal to Ra, strengthening his role as a creator god.</i>

Also, there is the idea of the sun being the masculine giver of life and water being the feminine.

Or, maybe this:

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/nun.htm

But, at no point would I think that it meant ruling over everything between the sun and the waters...which would simply be the captain of Ra's boat...Ma'at Razz
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yarvin wrote:
Maybe Tachyon is a Watcher herself. That would explain why she knows the Watchers symbol. But if the Order keeps its branches divided from each other, she might not know the meaning of the others.

Just to clarify, the reason Tachyon has so much information about the Order is because she infiltrated one of their information gathering facilities. Her theft of this information is what lead OpAphid to pursue her in the first place.
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:
yarvin wrote:

Just to clarify, the reason Tachyon has so much information about the Order is because she infiltrated one of their information gathering facilities. Her theft of this information is what lead OpAphid to pursue her in the first place.

I hate to even add to this thread at this point, but I have really been wanting to mention this.
Seems a lot of people have not given much thought to how Tachyon got this information.

She stole it from OpAphid.
Therefore! This is not a Tachyon puzzle. The password was. Not the contents.
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless, those symbols most likely still have significant meaning that we need to figure out. Why else would have given us this particular image without explaining the rest of the symbols?
KelQuelle
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this has already been said, i just tried to read through most of this thread so i wouldn't repeat too much but i was going through a wiki site where i found a Phoenician alphabet that also shows how it corresponds to a greek alphabet so i looked up each greek letter and tried to find its corresponding phoenician letter. next i attempted to find a meaning or origin for each of these letters. here is what i found and what i think:

Theta-sun or possibly death, as Tachyon said

Mu-water, again from Tacyon

Pi-mouth, maybe speech (i found another site which i lost the page to where a symbol that appeared similar to pi represented a god of language)

Sigma-tooth, but upon further research i also found where it might mean royalty, or deity or something like that

Lambda-goats or shepard or shepard staff; something to do with hearding

So from that, I formed this however, it might not make sense after i've posted this. i've been reading it long enough and everything makes sense now...

Theta+Mu=Watcher (Tachyon)

Lambda+Sigma=Shepard of Gods maybe?

Theta+Pi=messengers or something like that. its been said before i just think it makes sense

actually thats all i have. i only came up with Lambda/Sigma...

EDIT-sorry i meant to include that wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenician_alphabet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
McPackage
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the symbols thread, but it is relevant here as well since it effects the numbers.

So the latest note from Tachyon seems to suggest that what we thought were an omicron and pi could be incorrect.

So if we're not seeing an omicron here, I'm guessing it's a phi.

And if we're not seeing a pi here, then similar to the mu on the other symbol, this may be a nu. After all, if looks like , then could look like
KelQuelle
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, i replied to it there but i might as well do it here.

the "theta/pi" is definately not nu because nu looks like this : N, v

the first could be phi...i'm not sure anymore.
windsong
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the mu is definitely mutated to fit the symbol, so I can see how the nu would be as well. If the M werent changed, then i would say no way to nu, but it was, so I think it is a definite possibility as the other letter, if not the front runner.
KelQuelle
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think its a huge change for Nu. it seems like too much. granted, it is possible.
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Eta?

Quote:
Eta (uppercase Η, lowercase η) is the seventh letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals it has a value of 8. It was derived from the Phoenician letter Heth.

The simple number substitution cipher she used in Tachyon's recent note makes me think she's reiterating the greek letter = number interpretation.

= Φ + Τ = phi + tau = 21 + 19 = 40 (or Ϙ + T = qoppa + tau = ? + 19 = ?)
= Θ + Μ = theta + mu = 8 + 12 = 20
= Λ + Σ = lambda + sigma = 11 + 18 = 29
= Θ + Η = theta + eta = 8 + 7 = 15

40 20 29 15 Question

Or using Greek numerals,
Φ + Τ = 500 + 300 = 800 (or Ϙ + Τ = 90 + 300 = 390)
Θ + Μ = 9 + 40 = 49
Λ + Σ = 30 + 200 = 230
Θ + Η = 9 + 8 = 17

800 (or 390) 49 230 17 Question

1-(800) 492-3017... or
1-(800) 230-4917... or
1-(800) 230-1749... can someone check those?
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol wrote:

1-(800) 492-3017... or
1-(800) 230-4917... or

None are good D. First one is disco, 2nd one asks you to ok a charge of $6 per minute, and the third belongs to a guy named Josh
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:
deagol wrote:

1-(800) 492-3017... or
1-(800) 230-4917... or

None are good D. First one is disco, 2nd one asks you to ok a charge of $6 per minute, and the third belongs to a guy named Josh

I knew iamcool was canon.
impulse
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
ladron121 wrote:

iamcool
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
ladron121 wrote:
deagol wrote:

1-(800) 492-3017... or
1-(800) 230-4917... or

damnit my covers blown

My lawyers told me to edit the content of this signature so i didn't get sued

Me and Oobles are 'TWAT's - 'The Worldwide Association of Threadjacking' Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: