Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something I still don't understand...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Questions and Comments About LG15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSG
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Something I still don't understand... Reply with quote

Why is there a goddamned deus ex machina every 5 videos?

"Now we're trying to be a cop thriller"
"Now we're trying to be a day-time drama"
"Now we're trying to be a viral video"
"Now we're trying to be a real world knockoff"
"Now we're trying to be a mystery novel"

I watch this stuff religiously, but I'm starting to really get turned off to the show. They can't stick with a theme, and they can't build any continuity. Every 5 or so videos, the character's drives and persona do a flip-flop.

I said it once, and I'll say it again: Lonelygirl15 is the Evil Knievel of shark jumping.

(This isn't a post looking for a fight. I watch the show, and am not a hater. I'm just having a really hard time keeping on with it.)
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

How are you using "continuity" exactly? As far as it goes in the sense that they don't forget things like Daniel not having a good relationship with his parents or Jonas not having any other close friends, I think they do a pretty good job for the most part. There have been discrepancies, of course: Cassie stopped calling Bree because of getting freaked out over the religion vs. Bree stopped talking to her after Cassie got her in trouble; Bree living in New Zealand for "about a year" vs. four years; Bree living in a small town in the middle of nowhere (the nearest mall was even supposed to be three hours away) vs. her not-so-middle of nowhere town (a little, unknown place called "LA"); P. Monkey randomly switching from female to male after a few videos; probably some other small details I've forgotten.

But, again, on the whole, I think they're consistent with details and personalities. The only character who isn't consistent with their personality is Bree, and she's consistent in her inconsistency and instability, so it all balances out there. For example, in "Men Are From Mars," she randomly started rattling off John Gray proverbs despite how inaccurate they were with the two guys she's been spending all this time with, and in apparent complete ignorance of the irony that it's she who doesn't ever want to talk about anything - not the males.

As for a lack of overarching themes, I think the fact that the series is supposed to act like it's a real vlog and not a fictional storyline gets in the way of that. I know it's not a form of storytelling many of us accustomed to, but I've gotten used to it, at least with this series.

Last edited by Lurker on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to extend a welcome to you!

I am confused by some of your rhetoric, however. Please excuse me for misunderstanding this quote:

Quote:
I said it once, and I'll say it again: Lonelygirl15 is the Evil Knievel of shark jumping.

Since this particular quote appeared in your first post here, I am just a bit confused. I am not interested in a fight either; I just don't understand.
curiousGeorge
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Something I still don't understand... Reply with quote

BSG wrote:
Why is there a goddamned deus ex machina every 5 videos?

"Now we're trying to be a cop thriller"
"Now we're trying to be a day-time drama"
"Now we're trying to be a viral video"
"Now we're trying to be a real world knockoff"
"Now we're trying to be a mystery novel"

Well, the answer is Yes to all of the above, although the viral video has not appeared yet... Anyway, I feel your pain but I have come to terms with all of the above, with a few possible exceptions involving logic Wink .

I stand by my assertion that this is a great big messy experiment in a new medium. Does it fail a lot? Oh yes. But, it succeeds more than it fails I think. Kinda. Many people abandoned watching the show at any number of "shark jumping" junctures because of the issues you have raised though. Still more have jumped on board, despite these issues...

I suggest you outline specific issues that bother you. I have found the production team to be somewhat receptive to constructive criticism. One of the more interesting facets of the project is the interactivity that the producers have with these phorums. Not just with issues involving plot and character development, but also with the more "Meta" issues. If you are expecting the kind of quality that you get from Scorsese or Whedon, then you are in the wrong place though. The LG producers are amateurs trying out something pretty unique. It's messy.
JohnBigbootie
Casual Observer

Location: Holland township, New Jersey overlooking a truly panoramic expanse of the Delaware River Valley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good Catch" CG - in other words nice roundup on the issues at hand.

BSG you' are right on many levels Itis sometimes confusing and confounding. However, it is addictive. SOmeitmes it's like a drug, sometimes it's like something stuck to your shoe and you just can't scrape it off.

Apz while I hesitate to speak for others I think BSG meant his "...said it once" comment rhetorically.
nobackspacebutton
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:
I'd also like to extend a welcome to you!

I am confused by some of your rhetoric, however. Please excuse me for misunderstanding this quote:

Quote:

Since this particular quote appeared in your first post here, I am just a bit confused. I am not interested in a fight either; I just don't understand.

I think that quote shows that he isn't as 'suspiciously absent' as we think he is...and has posted her before, under a different name.

BA Tells Lies.

Some things are secret for a reason.
There are people whose lives are dedicated to keeping them that way.
BSG
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome!

No, I posted that in the comments of one of the videos.

My particular complaints are how the style of the show changes every 5 episodes, and the "main topic" is ignored from the previous shotgun shell of videos.

I'm having a hard time nailing down a specific point at which this happens, because it isn't continuity in the sense of events. It's continuity in the sense of attitudes and afflictions. One minute they're all fighting over bree's love, the next minute they're fighting over who's a liar or not. Daniel gets kidnapped by the order, and is back 2 videos later, with little more than a mention that he was just kidnapped and "brainwashed." 2 videos ago, bree was gung-ho that Jonas was part of the order, then 2 videos later, she's apologizing without any actual proof that he isn't. Jonas literally confronts a watcher, and only 12 videos later, do they leave his house. Huh?

Maybe it comes down to how much we don't "see" in the videos. The fact that the time between videos, any number of things could happen. That's probably a part of the style of vlogging, but it still bothers me.

You can tell it's experimental, and you can tell that they're falling through it. I'd like to think, being a writer myself, that they would've had SOME kind of logical outline before they started this. It's glaringly obvious, and it breaks the magic for me a lot.

I'm not one of those people who wishes it would go back to the old bree in her room; I just liked how the videos had consistancy, and even when we found out it was a show, it still had a feeling of reality to it. These videos are not realistic to me at all, and it really breaks any affordances of "style" I would've made before.

Also, just as a disclaimer: I watch these videos religiously. When a new one comes out, I'm on it like flies on shit. It's a wonderfuly addicting series and I hope it has a future. I'm just expressing my groans and moans that've bothered me since about 20 or 30 videos back.
nobackspacebutton
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this should go in the complaints section?

BA Tells Lies.

Some things are secret for a reason.
There are people whose lives are dedicated to keeping them that way.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:

As for a lack of overarching themes, I think the fact that the series is supposed to act like it's a real vlog and not a fictional storyline gets in the way of that. I know it's not a form of storytelling many of us accustomed to, but I've gotten used to it, at least with this series.
I agree; and you've put it very succinctly, Lurker.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, BSG.
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really don't think this belongs in the new to forum section at all first off, who ever moved it...please re-consider your placement. (it's helpful wen you explain the move)

secondly, there a few of these threads in plot discussion, you may wish to read them and see the discussion there.

Thirdly, I understand your point of view, and I appreciate it. But also remember that the "format" (i'm going to loosly use that term) is a pattern that man fiction writers use, especially in TV and Movies. Here however, it's more closely knit, as in the format is faster paced and we see it in every five episodes, instead of once a season.

Quote:
I watch these videos religiously. When a new one comes out, I'm on it like flies on shit. It's a wonderfuly addicting series and I hope it has a future. I'm just expressing my groans and moans that've bothered me since about 20 or 30 videos back.

There is a song I sing a lot about the Lonelycracker syndrom...

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
curiousGeorge
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSG wrote:

You can tell it's experimental, and you can tell that they're falling through it. I'd like to think, being a writer myself, that they would've had SOME kind of logical outline before they started this. It's glaringly obvious, and it breaks the magic for me a lot.

I had (have...) a hard time with this part of it myself. If you accept the premise that the plot/direction of the show is HEAVILY influenced by the phorum comments you will see why things get so disjointed and seem at odds with a "traditional" narrative and plot. It can be mind numbingly frustrating at times indeed. Like "Choose You Own Adventure" with several hundred writers contributing to the direction of the story. As I said above: Messy.

That said, it is still very entertaining and it has spawned some very Creative and engaging interactive elements. The ARG elements (which I do think are cool), fan response videos like HSAO, and most importantly the forums themselves. All of these contribute to a vibrant and lively phan community. I have been watching all of this develop for quite a long time and it is fascinating to see it evolve. Cool stuff, bugger the plot...

What I mean to say, BSG, (now that's frakn' good writing) is that you don't have to "approve" of the writing or production to be a phan. Criticize away and/or sing praise when it is due. Give suggestions for the plot or just poke holes in it. Whatever floats your boat, if you are writer then I am sure that your posts will indeed be thought provoking.

The choice is yours. Be interactive!

Welcome to the Fray.
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, CuriousGeorge!!

Hang in there, OK!

There are lots of people eager to help you. We are glad to hear your concerns. Sometimes, themes are in clusters. If you consult the LGpedia, you will see that the videos are intentionally arranged that way. It's for a purpose, not for "shark jumping!!"
*Daniel's Fan Club Founder
http://www.youtube.com/whitetigerdream
*My Books: http://www.laurapaxton.com/borderline.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Questions and Comments About LG15 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: