Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CiW - [Discussion] Latin, anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jowriter
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: CiW - [Discussion] Latin, anyone? Reply with quote

I have several things I want to discuss on this thread, so I've subcategorized Wink

Topic 1: Palindrome/Moth/Bible?

So, on the revelation 1 video OpAphid left a comment in Latin to Cassieiswatching.

"In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni"

It means we "We go by night in circles and the fire engulfs us." It's a palindrome, and a clue within a clue. A palindrome can be read both forward and backwards. The Roman guy who wrote it must have been really smart, because these things are really hard to write.

Anyway, most people think the answer to the puzzle within the puzzle is a moth. I know for a fact that moths are spoken of quite a lot in the Bible. Since the Bible is so prominent in the Revelation 1 video (duh) I was thinking that a passage that talks about moths might be a clue. The thing is, I don't own a Bible, so I can't really look it all up for myself.

And also, what if the moth is a metaphor for Bree? They go of their own free will into the flames...Bree and the ceremony...I know she didn't actually do the ceremony, but yeah, something to think about.

Has this already all been discussed? If so, my apologies.

Topic 2: Revelation 2

It seems that a lot of the links or whatever that used to work no longer do. I can't find what Cassie's voice mail originally said at all. I also can't find a link that tells me what people found at the bridge. I know they exist, I'm just having a horrible time sifting through all this stuff, so if someone could help me, that would be great!

Topic 3: Right There Above You

This also might have also been discussed, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case anyone has a new ideas.

What I was thinking was, what if what she really means is "Right there above 'you.'" As in the word "you" written or typed out somewhere and something is above it that we can fit into one of the clues (like Franks final message.) It's a long shot, but hey, thought I'd mention it. I mean, we do watch her video's on "YouTube."

That's all for now, have an awesome day!
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that people focused also on the source of the latin line but I don't remember.

The drop was a painting of 2 clowns that had been altered with the names Helter and Skelter. The back had a puzzle that said something about Frank being on his way out and Cassie "has a second life" which, by the time of the drop, we already knew.

As for VMs I don't know who has the ones Cassie left. They were generally just backwards audio and whatnot.

The gamejack VMs are recorded. (2 anyway, were there 3??)
Thanks to PCXL

VM, mix up, this was a load of LG audio, some VMs left by players and what not. PCXL was awesome enough to put the video in with the audio where applicable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwLC627fWNI

This is the, one day later, slightly edited (by gamejacker), lovelines call:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSDRspz968
Sheikh Gomelez
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of off-topic, sort of on-topic.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni-- a phrase dating back to the Middle Ages, if I'm not mistaken-- is the title of Guy Debord's final film. Debord was a Situationist, and the film itself is an example of détournement, in which pre-existing images and words are used to assemble a text with a different, often critical, meaning. The film's voiceover uses highbrow quotations and clichéd phrases to contrast with "found footage"; both words and images take up new and disturbing meanings in relation to each other.

Détournement is kind of like sampling. People were doing it before sampling existed, but sampling is sometimes a kind of détournement, too.

The tactic is similar to, but not exactly the same as, what OpAphid was up to in those early videos.

If Glenn Rubenstein and the Creators are referencing semiotics, Glenn might be familiar with Debord, as Situationism and semiotics were both central to a lot of the political/philosophical debates and critical theory coming out of France in the Sixties and Seventies. Some of the ideas continue to influence literary and film/media studies-- and political activists and artists-- to this day. Even if Glenn isn't aware of Debord, the similarities between Debord's techniques and those in the early OpAphid material are striking.

I was pretty keen on Debord for a long time...

And I thought a lot about Debord at the time of those early Appy videos and messages.

Someone at YouTube posted a clip of the Debord film. The subtitles are in Portuguese. This is a translation of the spoken text (with a couple of extra lines):

"But nothing expresses this restless and exitless present better than this ancient phrase that turns completely back on itself, being constructed letter by letter like an inescapable labyrinth, thus perfectly uniting the form and content of perdition: In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni. We turn in the night, consumed by fire.

“'One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh, but the earth abideth forever. The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose. . . . All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again. . . . To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. . . . a time to kill and a time to heal; a time to break down and a time to build up; . . . a time to rend and a time to sew; a time to keep silence and a time to speak. . . . Better to see what one desireth than to wish for what one knoweth not: this also is vanity and vexation of spirit. . . . For what purpose doth a man seek what is above him, he who knoweth not what is good for him during his days on the earth, during the time that passeth like a shadow?' [text from Ecclesiastes]

“'No, let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of those trees.'” [Stonewall Jackson's last words]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13GA8JLW9qI&mode=related&search=

The full text of Debord's film can be found here:
http://www.bopsecrets.org/SI/debord.films/ingirum.htm

A gifted student pursuing a degree in Media Studies might want to compare and contrast Debord's use of quotations with that found in OpAphid's early videos and messages. The techniques are similar, but the "purposes" of the quotations are radically different.

Or someone could write a paper entitled, "Nancy Drew a Lonelygirl, Daniel Drew a Beast: Intertexuality, Différance, and Heteroglossia in the LG15 Narrative(s)".

Just a thought.

Off to bed. I have to pretend to be a productive citizen in the morning.

In a couple of hours, in fact.

Good night, all.
And dissension have begun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> FanFic Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: