Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New direction...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja wrote:
And, heeey, what's up with neural net??

I wish I knew. I got a message from them last week asking for some info and haven't heard anything since. I can only assume that they are working on a new vid - I hope. The concept is a really good one - Give everyone a chance to share their theories and research. I hope it moves forward.

In the meantime, I've really been enjoying the TravelerJ storyline.
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of Neural Net, but it's going tooooo slow. I'll have to jump back into TravellerJ. I watched the first couple but just didn't want to overdo it.

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
Bagged, tagged, sold to the butcher at the store.
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja wrote:
I like the idea of Neural Net, but it's going tooooo slow. I'll have to jump back into TravellerJ. I watched the first couple but just didn't want to overdo it.

I'm enjoying TravelerJ because it takes a whole different angle. It's all about the Order's research into genetics. Kind of taking a "Y - The Last Man" angle.
Jamidru
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had the time to go back and get into Travler J..... I really hope to hear from N3trual N3t soon though. *nudge nudge*
sc
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, as far as a new direction is concerned, we need to be willing to learn from successful ARG's. The first step is for anyone who really wants to participate in the continuation of OA to start with simple, but very interesting reading.

http://www.unfiction.com/dev/tutorial/

And, because it's funny, yet true, specifically:

http://www.unfiction.com/dev/tutorial/10com.jpe
itsreallyreal
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people think that it would be AWESOME to have "group Drops" of some kind where they have a retailer hand out a key or code to anyone with a password that can make it there in a week?

How cool would THOSE caravans be?... Laughing
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*imagines tons of videos posted, containing not much actual ARG'ing as much as copious amounts of drinking and debauchery*

Um...when exactly are those starting?
itsreallyreal
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
chershaytoute

Location: Oregon with an ocean view...across the neighbors' cow pasture, wow!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been putting thought into this.

I would like to see everything that we do online done on-site for a few reasons...

It keeps us within the Breeniverse. We're a community. This should be our home... That's the biggest - the huge one! But there are others...

If we work in chat:

we have (hopefully - not having been in there, I don't know the software) a way of archiving the chat so that we can keep an ongoing, postable record of the solve process;

if anything needs to be looked at for any reason, server records are readily and immediately available. Needless to say, we would need posted, well understood chat rules, stating that the disclosure of personal information is strictly forbidden in the chat area, as it is on the forum.

I would want to see the chats scheduled, with moderators there who do the captures/uploads to the forum/board (or an area of the LGPedia, or...?) perhaps, and who keep things on topic. I have a hunch we would need more than one mod in the chatroom to keep things pointed the right direction. Having steered plenty of chatroom conversations, I would like folks to realize that there is going to be some off topic conversation - a little nudge from the mods to remind folks about those wonderous IM programs that developed with chat and everything! (who'da thunk!) will work...honest... Wink

I would like to see the captures uploaded with a bullet pointed list of solves attached for those who'd rather not wade through - but that's just me... Very Happy

Anyway, I haven't been in the chat here. I understand it's been glitchy and slow. I also understand it was down, and it's up again - has it been tried since it's been back up? Is it still not wonderful?

On the forums:

I like chat for some things (the immediacy is great), and forums/message boards for others (I'm a HUGE fan of forums myself - a "BB Queen" from w-a-y back... <snicker>). We can visit here... That's what the General Discussion area is all about. The Parallax area (and the previous similar areas) are for getting down to The Solves and Solutions. I'd like to see a lot of work going on there.

Personally, I don't think we have a bad group of mods here. Before anyone starts throwing tomatoes, I know from firsthand experience, what a damnably hard job they have trying to be evenhanded.

Basically, my rule of thumb was always that if you managed to piss everyone off or no one off in any given situation, you've done the job pretty close to right...because then you've achieved a compromise state. That's not an always thing. Sometimes, you really do have to just deal with one side...but as I told my grandgirlies last night, there are always two sides to any issue... You're just not seeing what the mod is doing on the other side - any more than you necessarily want the "other side" to see your conversation with the mod...

Anyway, I have a tendency to ramble... <rueful grin> I've a hunch there's going to be chatter in the Parallax area...but if you have a couple folks whose job description includes the honor of wielding The KickAss Tachyon Broom and Sacred OpAphid DustPan, you know things'll get cleaned up quickly... Allowing a wee bit of chatter in the first place is friendly and is less likely to project that elitist attitude we'd rather not have in the first place. Carefully deflecting it (with humor, with kindness) down to the discussion threads...that would be the way to go...

The ARG itself:

Y'all are percolatin' with ideas here!

Multiple PMs - this is an excellent idea! We get more puzzles and possibly more TYPES of puzzles, since we have more types of input. (no boos on this next) I would like to see Glenn work on the writing here, as he does have the storyline in his head, and this will give us the continuity... Multiple PMs will also give us puzzles more often...and that was a cause of some consternation earlier, I think...

Love the vid of drops happening, the vids that appear to be public access, the groups with copious drinking and debauchery - uh, was there a drop involved there, or just drinking and debauchery...I'm up for either...and we have a couple acres for the pitching of tents...for left coastal drink&debauch events... Laughing <imagining the look of those tents if pitched after the drinking and debauchery commence> (I'm also pondering here what my partner's going to think...he's still wondering about this whole LG15 thing! <snicker>)

Quick Disclaimers:

As I said somewhere else, I've run communities online since the late '80's (long and long before Al Gore ever considered inventing the Internet <snort>), including a large gaming community that contained Warcraft II, Magestorm, Splatterball, Darkness Falls, and a bunch of other really neat stuff on AOL and GameStorm...

I have never done an ARG before. I love puzzles. Math scares me. Deagol's avatar cracks me up on a regular basis. So do several others...but I most associate him with math puzzles <chortle>. Charlie and Candy Mountain gives me serious nightmares.

Ramble? I think this is a record, even for me! <shudder>

WWggD - let's make the Breeniverse a better place to live...

Thanks to giddeanx for the coolest personal glue stick ever!
itsreallyreal
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W Shocked W! awesome post chershaytoute!!!
chershaytoute

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, IRR! I really respect your opinion (you've been putting up some pretty damned awesome posts yourself recently, ya know!)

I could've gone on (and on, and on, and on!) about stuff...more on chat, W-A-Y more on the forum area (honest!), but this was already getting much too long as it was.

This is a good community. Mods make it good. Members make it good. It's not something that just happens.

Add in here what makes LG15 just that much more: The Creators, the story, the ARG... Then you get the WoW Factor that brings us from simple online community to Virtual World on toward The Breeniverse and Beyond (said in Booming Announcer Voice)... Hey, what more can I say? Wink

This thread has the potential to make us go well beyond great and into the territory of awesome... I truly love that idea.

When I was "doing" on GEnie (one of the first national online services (this was in the late '80's - when folks were all dial-up, things were done in text, and 2400 bps was super high tech), we always had a place for our members to talk about what they'd like to see happening. NEVER a place to make suggestions. No one takes a suggestion box seriously.

This is a seriously good thread, IMO, for just that reason...and one that's been needed for a long time.

You rock, IRR.

But then again, WE are residents of the Breeniverse. By definition, we ALL rock, huh? <beaming smile>

wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chershaytoute wrote:
But then again, WE are residents of the Breeniverse. By definition, we ALL rock, huh? <beaming smile>

I'm pretty sure IRR would rather forget about rocks for awhile Twisted Evil

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
chershaytoute

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah...maybe those darned boulders anyway... <chortle>

itsreallyreal
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me muffled voice from beneath the boulder

shanksh guysh...
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sitting on boulder, having picnic lunch*

Shocked

Did you guys hear something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: