Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New direction...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethy wrote:
Well, whatever happens...it might be nice to see if they're going to do something with this:

http://www.opaphid.org/

thats really got to happen

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killthesmiley wrote:
bethy wrote:
Well, whatever happens...it might be nice to see if they're going to do something with this:

http://www.opaphid.org/

thats really got to happen

I believe that was purchased by the PM when he started the game and wanted to lock the name down. So it's a question of if they got the name signed over (if they ever completed negotiations).
chershaytoute

Location: Oregon with an ocean view...across the neighbors' cow pasture, wow!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just getting back down this-a-way... Very Happy

itsreallyreal wrote:
As for the MOD thing... I have been a part of many forums... The best way I have noticed that Forum Moding works out is to find a great current member... Then give them a WHOLE NEW SCREEN NAME... That way they can seperate clearly when they have their "MOD Hat" on and when they have their "Member Hat" on... Know what I mean?

This is also intended to be a secret so no one knows who the MOD really is. It keeps people from dragging Member drama and history into the way they address and deal with the new MOD...

As far as selection.. I don;t care what anyone says, really it boils down to the Admin and MOD's to all agree on who they can get along with, has the right attitude and is willing to work well with the entire group... So I always say they are the best to decide who... Members can always toss out names so that the MODs can see who the forum likes... But a REAL vote or democratic process almost never works... I have seen it get REAL ugly... Laughing

IRR, I haven't ever done it that way...which may strike as weird... I always felt that whole "I am who I am" thing was the best way to work on whatever forum/board/community I was working - even and especially on the ones I was in charge of. I had an open door policy, never shut off IMs, never went into games as someone other than myself (which always amazed folks since I'm one of the lousiest folks on Earth, when it comes to actually playing games <chortle> - you should have seen the AOL Mother's Day Challenge the first year we were there...remembering I was ENGAGE Mom...I actually still have the picture from the welcome screen...the caricature looked like June Cleaver on speed! <shudder>) Anyway, as usual, I ramble...

What I'm saying is that it was important that folks understood that I was me, always. And I was there for folks, always. That I wasn't in there "spying" on them as someone else, that they could always find me, that I was always my genuine self. This is what worked for me, in the communities I worked in, and it was what I insisted my "free flags," sysops, community leaders, and "game 'ops" also do within those communities. But my folks were trained this was and were held to the standards I set. AOL actually used my training materials for a while (not sure if they still are - doubtful...it's been a very long time Very Happy ) Unfortunately, those docs have gone by the wayside - two laptop thefts and a couple of hard drive implosions will do that... <sigh>

wintermute wrote:
Wow. Sysop. That's a title I haven't held since about '98 or so (Nitemare Cafe BBS! 740-681-XXXX. Formerly 614-681-XXXX. Is it scary that I still know my BBS number by heart?)... Yes, the title is still in use with telnet BBS systems. Not sure about anywhere else.

'98? Why, 'mute! You're just a baby! Laughing

And, no, not scary. I still know phone numbers from when I was a kid, and that was back in the age of <said with a voice of awe> Rotary Dialing... Shocked

wintermute wrote:
Don't worry, Kelly. I've just proven myself to be an old fart is all Wink

"mod arm" is reserved for when I feel pushed into moderating in a way that I'd rather not. Such as when someone doesn't listen to my polite pleas to change their behavior, and I'm forced to take action. It always makes me feel bad when I do it

Great in theory, IRR. Hand-picking players for each side would definitely not work out so well in practice, though. Impossible to keep everyone happy, for one thing. For another, where do new players go? Maybe have general clues, then side-specific clues? The general ones are for the players who aren't on a side yet? It'd be fine for a closed game, not available to the general public. But here? I don't even wanna imagine moderating what kind of mess that could become.

"mod arm," harrumph! Ya just put on your asbestos undies and wade into the fray, dear! Wink (I did like the middle finger reference you used later in this thread... <chuckle>)

A good mod is going to feel bad anytime he/she has to resort to taking any type of actual action.

The thing folks don't always remember is that the immediacy of the situation will sometimes require that action is taken, because folks often post in haste things that they wouldn't say if they had time to think a bit... I actually have, in the past, taken things down and offered folks a chance to re-phrase them - that way they are able to say what they want without the original wording... So I remember taking action and then "untaking" it while myself and that person had the chance to talk things out in the background...and he/she had a chance to re-think (and re-write) just a bit. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. But it often is!

The fact is, though, I always found that diplomacy, courtesy, good manners, and a great sense of humor went a very long way.

You guys exhibit a lot of all of these, in varying measure... Very Happy

Killthesmiley wrote:
so...many ... weird...names...

aaahhhh the bleach blond hair is ruining my learning capability!

Kelly, when I started seeing white hair, I decided preeetty colors were my best friend. The weave is a beautiful thing. I have so many pretty colors, sometimes it scares me. BlondeS, brownS, redS. Who knows where my brains are in there, but they're several different colors now, too, no doubt.

I have no idea what my original hair color is now, though at one point, I vaguely remember some shade of blonde was in there...sorta...

Say no to bleach! Say yes to preeeetty colors! <nodding firmly>

wintermute wrote:
itsreallyreal wrote:
wintermute wrote:
I use my right-handed mouse on the left side, even though I'm right-handed.

Shocked

How IS life in the fast lane!?... Laughing Wink

I know. How can I deal with the adrenalin rush, right? Laughing But it's ironic that I'm using the middle finger to lock threads and delete posts and such. There's a certain satisfaction in that Wink

'mute

My ex's mother was the world's worst driver. She was also just a wee bit looney. Had no idea what the middle finger was actually for...

She thought folks were waving at her...

To be friendly, she waved back...

You're just being friendly, 'mute, in your very own way, right? Wink <cough>

WWggD - let's make the Breeniverse a better place to live...

Thanks to giddeanx for the coolest personal glue stick ever!
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chershaytoute wrote:
'98? Why, 'mute! You're just a baby! Laughing

And, no, not scary. I still know phone numbers from when I was a kid, and that was back in the age of <said with a voice of awe> Rotary Dialing... Shocked

'98 is when I hung up the title of "sysop" for awhile. I still plan on a ressurection of my old board eventually (via telnet), when I have time to actually complete the project.

I remember rotary dialing from when I was a kid, too. First phone I ever tore apart was a rotary phone, and owned by AT&T Laughing

chershaytoute wrote:
A good mod is going to feel bad anytime he/she has to resort to taking any type of actual action.

I feel bad every single time.

chershaytoute wrote:
You're just being friendly, 'mute, in your very own way, right? Wink <cough>

Yeah, yeah! That's it! Laughing

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: