Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biblical reference in "Alex is..."
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Biblical reference in "Alex is..." Reply with quote

You know, this vid also has a Biblical reference.

John the Baptist told the Pharisees to "beware of one who comes after me. I cleanse with water, but he will cleanse with fire".

May not be an exact quote, but it's close if not.

I posted this in the vid section, but I brought it here so it can get the attention it deserves.
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
cbizzle44
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming "cleanse" means "turn to the order", she's saying pretty much, "i tried to be nice to you so you would turn to the order, but the others won't be"
interesting connection

oh, it's what you do to me

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clarazzle44- in a youtubian world
sparrow
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the second half of that. Here's John's full quote:

Quote:
7But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? 8Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

11"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire." Matthew 3:7-12 (emphasis mine)

Look out, Scoobies!
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've studied the Bible extensively, and Alex's wording immediately struck me as strange, and made this possibly Biblical reference leap out at me.

This is what Alex says:

"I think that you should be less concerned about me, and more concerned about what will almost certainly come after me".

Wouldn't a more natural way to say this be something like:

'more concerned about what will happen after you leave here', (or me).

Or:

'concerned about who will come after you now'

Etc. the wording, to me, is really strange, and immediately made me think of this Bible verse (exact quote, KJV, said by John the Baptist):

Matthew 3:11:
I indeed baptize your with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire" (end quote)

This is out there, I know, but could it be the Bree (or Daniel, or Jonas) is to be crucified or burnt?
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparrow wrote:
Don't forget the second half of that. Here's John's full quote:

Quote:
7But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? 8Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

11"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire." Matthew 3:7-12 (emphasis mine)

Look out, Scoobies!
Ha ha, sparrow, I was typing while you were posting apparently.
sparrow
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, for a second there I was wondering.

I think that Alex's very formal wording on this made it sound far more threatening than if it had been something like, "You'd better be watching your asses, because y'all ain't seen nothin' yet." (I don't know why Alex turned redneck there, but you know what I mean).

It sounded very formal, perhaps a little outdated, and quite Order-ish.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think that you should be less concerned about me, and more concerned about what will almost certainly come after me"

Here's another possibility. Maybe she meant that the Order would be coming after her because she revealed these things to Daniel. Of course, she gives him back the camera after that, so it makes it highly unlikely.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely see why the Biblical thing came to mind, Juli. I think the wording there may have been intentional. I think she did, indeed, mean something that will come next and she was saying it in a more elegant manner than people normally would - and I do expect it to be something bad. Possibly the "D" in "APHID."
jeezy
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
"I think that you should be less concerned about me, and more concerned about what will almost certainly come after me"

Here's another possibility. Maybe she meant that the Order would be coming after her because she revealed these things to Daniel. Of course, she gives him back the camera after that, so it makes it highly unlikely.

Maybe it was her job to get Bree back, and now that Jonas knows and he will not trust her, she is in trouble with the Order for not completing her mission and now someone will come after her...
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeezy wrote:
longlostposter wrote:

Maybe it was her job to get Bree back, and now that Jonas knows and he will not trust her, she is in trouble with the Order for not completing her mission and now someone will come after her...

I don't think she meant it in the sense that something will be coming after her as a target - mainly because there's no reason for her to tell Bree to be concerned about that. I doubt Bree would care if something was coming to kill Alex. The only reason something like that would need to be a concern for Bree if it were happening is because it would becoming after her next - so either way one slices it, it's only a concern for Bree in the sense that "this is coming next."
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Lurker, and even if she were saying that to Jonas, it still doesn't make sense that she would say not to be concerned with her, because she would have been talking about the Order coming after her. It's contradiction. I should have thought more about it before I posted it.

Now I know why I thought the wording was weird.

Alex said:

"I think that you should be less concerned about me, and more concerned about what will almost certainly come after me".

Doesn't it seem like she would have said "next" and not "after me"?

"I think that you should be less concerned about me, and more concerned about what will almost certainly come next", just seems to me what most people would say, and that's why I think the Bible verse just jumped out at me.

EDIT: to change what I was obviously wrong about.
dorami
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really dont think this had any biblical context.

it's more like... auntie alex has failed because both bree and jonas got smart to her facade.

so now that she's busted, something else will be coming instead... hence "what will almost certainly come after me".

especially since it's one wave after another as we see the order chase them time and time again.

i still have my reservations on whether jonas is a plant tho...... altho perhaps the writers are just keeping that idea open to the last and building him as an innocent character so it could go both ways.

uhhh back to the topic at hand... so far the ppl after bree and the gang have tried to be 'friendly' so perhaps alex's declaration means that there's no more pretending and beating around the bush. the next thing to chase them will be open and obvious
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorami wrote:
i really dont think this had any biblical context.

it's more like... auntie alex has failed because both bree and jonas got smart to her facade.

so now that she's busted, something else will be coming instead... hence "what will almost certainly come after me".

especially since it's one wave after another as we see the order chase them time and time again.

i still have my reservations on whether jonas is a plant tho...... altho perhaps the writers are just keeping that idea open to the last and building him as an innocent character so it could go both ways.

uhhh back to the topic at hand... so far the ppl after bree and the gang have tried to be 'friendly' so perhaps alex's declaration means that there's no more pretending and beating around the bush. the next thing to chase them will be open and obvious
Very perceptive post, Dorami, and quite likely. I am also not convinced that Jonas is not an Orderite. There are too many benefits to the Order, the way this went down. If Jonas is Order, then Daniel will find himself miles and miles away from Bree and unable to help her, and Jonas will make communication between them impossible.

Next vid...Daniel and Jonas on the road traveling farther and farther away. Daniel once again loses something, but this time it's not his fake ID, it's his cellphone. Shocked

I also think Daniel's drinking will play a part in the downfall of B&D.
Misty
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
I can definitely see why the Biblical thing came to mind, Juli. I think the wording there may have been intentional. I think she did, indeed, mean something that will come next and she was saying it in a more elegant manner than people normally would - and I do expect it to be something bad. Possibly the "D" in "APHID."

Well what's so bad about "Dialog" Razz
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty wrote:
Lurker wrote:

Well what's so bad about "Dialog" Razz

Destroy! Mohaha Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: