Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Msg from someone who JUST discovered LG15 to the creators.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renilicious
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Msg from someone who JUST discovered LG15 to the creators. Reply with quote

In all seriousness, I had watched the first two videos on You Tube today before I actually saw off a friends blog that it wasn't real. I wasn't phased. I don't understand why these people who are reacting violently (at least violently in the verbal sense through comments on websites, blogs and via YouTube response) are putting up such a fuss. You see the same thing on television every day, for goodness sakes. The OC or Veronica Mars are a prime example. The only difference is that the main subject of the audience is directly addressing her audience and happens to be on YouTube. No one tells you that what you see on telly is real or not real. Why should YouTube be considered anything else other than an online indepedent TV channel?

"Oh! But it's on YouTube and looks like a video, it's GOTTA be real."

Yeah, right. And I am really Cindy Crawford. NOT!!!! People! If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck, with the exception that if it's posted on YouTube, it's very likely a three-legged pink zebra.

If you want reality, then go watch geriatric1927 and his mates. There are hundreds of people now re-telling their REAL lives on YouTube for the sake of those who would happily hang off every word and are just as enjoyable.

There are hundreds of people doing this very same thing on YouTube but I think the distinct difference between them and LG15 is that LG15 was a charming and seemingly innocent take on the life of your average schoolgirl with just a little more skill in the recording department to make it thoroughly enjoyable to watch. It was a cute, unoffensive little soap opera and I watched them all and really enjoyed them for what they were.

Think of it this way, no one forced you to believe that it was "real". Those who thought it was and got pissed because it wasn't need a serious reality check. No one alluded to it being real except for the audience. It was an experiment in film-making that was very successful by these few amateurs and for that I give them kudos. It was an extremely good production and I look forward to (and hope for) more in the future.
wizard3
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another message from the thought police - Telling other people why they should not have the feelings they have, by "thinking of it" another [your] way.
zoeyramone
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: I didn't read that.... Reply with quote

wizard3 wrote:
Another message from the thought police - Telling other people why they should not have the feelings they have, by "thinking of it" another [your] way.

I really didn't get that impression from the original post. If you're really upset about it not being real, then just don't watch it anymore.
afewthings
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many people got upset because it was presented as real - a vlog.

On television you expect things to be scripted.

On youtube there has been an underlying assumption that vlogs reflect a real person, not an actor who is speaking the words a team of film makers have written.

When I first stumbled across a LG15 video, my first instinct was that it was scripted. It just came across that way. It was only until after I discovered all the speculation about whether it was fake or not that I even considered the possibility that it may be real. So I wasn't suprised or upset when I found out it was really an actress with a script.

Though I can understand people who did feel deceived and angry. The producers of this went to every level to ensure it was presented as real - from creating this site as if it was the work of a fan...to creating a fake myspace page and having Bree reply to comments on youtube as if she were real. They only came out as fake when it was obvious by the media attention that they had to.

I don't know if what they did was wrong or not. It's a bit of a grey area. But the producers could have perhaps handled it in a different way.

Renilicious - people are not pissed off because Bree isn't real. They are pissed off because they were led to believe she was real. A lot of people invested a lot of thought, care and empathy towards her...and to find out she was actually an actress must have been a big blow to them.
BlackRiven
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afewthings wrote:
people are not pissed off because Bree isn't real. They are pissed off because they were led to believe she was real. A lot of people invested a lot of thought, care and empathy towards her...and to find out she was actually an actress must have been a big blow to them.

You know, I have a real problem with people like that. What the hell are you doing getting so attached to some blog that it actually bothers you if it turns out to be fictional? Those people act like 10 year old kids. I can understand when people are upset over something serious, but I have no patience for cases when the reason for the anger is stupid.
Lady`Sapphire
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree that it's stupid to become emotionally invested in a person one knows through their "vlog," if only because some (many? most?) of the people who post such things on youtube are being legitimate or "real" and presenting their actual selves. (Or, at least, the actual self that people present to strangers through a semi-anonymous forum.) A basic tenet of "virtual communities" such as IRC chats, BBS and forums, blogs, and vlogs, is to remember that the other people who post are people on the other side of the (computer) screen. It's easy to divorce humanity from "virtual" communication based on text (or audio or video) on a screen. To maintain empathy and compassion while not "knowing" the people for whom one has that empathy and compassion is not stupid. It is, however, inherently risky, because the people for whom one extends compassion may not (often are not?) be who they present themselves to be. From personal experience, they may be psychos who are just out to lie to people and about people and see what kind of malicious trouble they can cause. Bree, at least, is not malicious in her betrayal of the people who care(d) for her.

In other cases, people are who they present themselves to be. And, from personal experience, can become wonderful friends. I married a man I met through IRC chat. So, that investment in a person beyond the computer screen can be a fantastic thing.

All in all, it's a crapshoot.
BlackRiven
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady`Sapphire wrote:
I would disagree that it's stupid to become emotionally invested in a person one knows through their "vlog," if only because some (many? most?) of the people who post such things on youtube are being legitimate or "real" and presenting their actual selves. (Or, at least, the actual self that people present to strangers through a semi-anonymous forum.) A basic tenet of "virtual communities" such as IRC chats, BBS and forums, blogs, and vlogs, is to remember that the other people who post are people on the other side of the (computer) screen. It's easy to divorce humanity from "virtual" communication based on text (or audio or video) on a screen.

....And, from personal experience, can become wonderful friends.

Well, here's the difference for me: if you start talking to someone, and he/she replies and you keep talking, that's ok, that's friendship. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I'd say that most (if not all) of the 42878 subscribers weren't close friends of Bree. The 'relationship' probably boiled down to them replying with 'aww, don't give up!' and not getting a response, and even if they did, it was far from a friendship, hence they didn't have any ground for getting emotionally attached to her. The fact that they did over so little given back to them is stupid. It's vain.
They may like her, they may relate to her, but when it reaches a point when it's like intimacy to them, that's idiotic. You make yourself feel involved when you really aren't.
And then they get upset. Well, it's your fault for having gotten out of proportions, and now people need to put up with your angsty rants?
Dunneh
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I kinda agree. I don't see any real emotional investment here-- nothing that isn't one-sided on the part of the watcher, so it does seem silly for people to get SO mad about it.

Although you should note that in the very begining "Bree" DID reply to comments on her 'vlog' and thus she did essentially 'converse' with people watching her videos. It further made her seem more 'real' (and consequently more deceitful when found out) than not interacting at all, and it may have lead some users to believe (especially when she referenced them in her videos) that she was their friends.

Having said that, she does have something like 37 videos over 2 months and her community participation dropped later on as things got stranger, so that should have been a red flag to the audience. I myself have no real opinion on it because I came into it after finding out it wasn't real.

I imagine if one was with this from the very start, believing, then made to feel like a sucker probably annoyed those who really did trust "Bree" hence the anger. In a way, they are kind of justified in that anger.

Perhaps there are bigger issues to be angry about, but people take different things to heart, and this is just one of those things.

I talk too much.
BlackRiven
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunneh wrote:

Although you should note that in the very begining "Bree" DID reply to comments on her 'vlog' and thus she did essentially 'converse' with people watching her videos. It further made her seem more 'real' (and consequently more deceitful when found out) than not interacting at all, and it may have lead some users to believe (especially when she referenced them in her videos) that she was their friends.

And how many people that was? 10? 20? 50 tops. Much less than the amount of people complaining. Even if we hold those people as exceptions, it doesn't change the picture.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: