Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No longer posting to YT???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jana4
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justfred20 wrote:
Terryfic wrote:
It has been the trend to post videos on Revver.com and this site first for the past few videos. They usually appear on YouTube shortly thereafter.

And I thank the folks doing that! The revver *.mov's are larger images, have higher video quality, are easier to download and play and come with a meaningful filename attached. Downloading and playing a youtube *.flv is a real horror-show if one uses an open-source OS. One basically has to look at the HTML source, find the video filename in that HTML mess, download it, move it to a meaningful name and then finally play it with a video player.

Keepvid is pretty cool for easily extracting the flv files at youtube and other places.

http://keepvid.com/
DeepBlueRug
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordgreystoke422 wrote:
Sfonzarelli wrote:
DeepBlueRug wrote:
I don't care for the whole Revver business and LG15. I have no problem with them making money, it just seems crappy to make that money promoting a rival for the site that made you famous. It would be gutsy if they yanked it off of Youtube, but they'll continue selling Hondas off the Ford lot. Alright, I feel better now.

For me, it's not so much brand loyalty as it is the contrasting ethos of the two sites. Every single video on YouTube is on there for the sole purpose of fun - it's free exchange of information. Revver ads cash and ads - all of a sudden it all feels kind of sleazy.

the contrasting ethos for the 2 sites are...YouTube-let's get the schmucks to make money for US. Revver-let's get everyone involved making money.

I get your point on the two sites, but I think it is weak to keep using Youtube to promote your competitive site. Though, it could be beneficial to both sites because of the popularity of LG15.

"It's a new frontier they say...It's wide open, anything can happen. But you've got a lot of nerve to call yourself a pioneer, when your to G@) d@&W conservative to take real chances!" -DK
ogami1972
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worse still- flash8 is not available for linux, which i get no Revver at all- this basically unfair! i've mised 2 eps now!-
edit: oh and btw- deepblue-you rock!

Last edited by ogami1972 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
DeepBlueRug
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see LG15 has her .com on her youtube videos now. Get your wallets out.
ogami1972
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: re: youtube advert Reply with quote

ok- that's just a rude slap in the face. the creators have effectively cancelled a portion of their fan base, and i for one am greatly offended by the 'new' youtube video.

edit- ok, i figured how to get the vids, but i still feel that was somewhat badly handled- the youtube video is rude.

Last edited by ogami1972 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeepBlueRug wrote:
I see LG15 has her .com on her youtube videos now. Get your wallets out.

I don't think they intend to start charging viewers. I think this is just a way to get more Revver hits. I'm not sure it's a great idea though considering ogami's problem and the perceptions (like the one I quoted) that it might convey.
Traegorn
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so - this bites.

As now all that appears on YouTube is a "GO LOOK AT REVVER," I am effectively unable to actually watch this. Watching on revver on my computer is like watching a slide show, while it always played fine on YouTube.

Why? Because YouTube lets the viewer scale down the video size, and I have an older computer.

So, yeah - I don't know how patient I'll be now...

(And yeah, I understand why they made the move - and if I could actually have the same viewing experience at Revver I'd probably applaud it, but I can't. So, yeah.)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Creators certainly don't want to upset people, and they are doing their best to make entertaining episodes and encourage people to come to this website. You are welcome to spread the word that they will not stop posting our videos on YouTube in the immediate future. They will be posting them here first... and then posting them later on YouTube. Revver cares about the people who make videos and shares ad revenue with them. Whether we like it or not, The Creators need to pay for rent, food, and gasoline (gas prices are still really, really high). The videos here are free. They will always be free. Sorry if some of you have browser issues, but we love the higher resolution since it shows details in the background that are important for the plot. Plus, it's just nifty.
Hodabes
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:
Watching on revver on my computer is like watching a slide show, while it always played fine on YouTube.

Why? Because YouTube lets the viewer scale down the video size, and I have an older computer.

You might have better luck with the .mov file, which you can view on Revver or download from the videos page here. Don't really know what else can be done for older computers, alas.

As for the ethics of the new video, I have no problem with it. The videos cost money (not much) to make, so driving people towards the Revver videos will make them some (not much) back. It's inevitable, the only downside is it will give ammo to haters and whatnot, but that's no big deal.
ogami1972
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, again, sorry- i was just a little freaked out. I need my stuff, man!
Astrantia
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has ticked the youtube crowd off to no end.

Youtube is the engine that created the buzz around lonelygirl, not revver. The whole idea of a girl uploading her videos on youtube, the sense of community (which, sorry, revver doesn't have). What website was mentioned on the news when it broke? Youtube. A lot of people could take that it's faked, but this just over stepped the line.

Do the creators not make enough money from the fans that come here to watch anyway? They have just alienated the people that made it so popular, and even more tarnished the whole effect... I echo the words of literally hundreds of Youtubbers.

And honestly the most thrilling aspect of the whole thing is... Cassieiswatching. Which if believed isn't even made by the creators. It gets the most posts on the forums.
Hodabes
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In truth, unobtrusive ads at the end of a video don't make a whole lot of money. You have to remember that even though it's scripted and the actors collect paychecks, LG15 is still essentially an indie production. They have to find a way to monetize it to keep it going.

One could argue that it's a serious flaw on the part of YouTube not to offer any method for creators to make money from their work. Anything that becomes popular on YouTube will have to leave YouTube, because it's a site that offers no options for serious content creators.

And CassieisWatching may get a lot of discussion here, but the vast majority of LG15 fans have no idea that it even exists. It's a really cool game for us, but not a big deal.
Astrantia
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there could of been a better way around it though.

I just noticed the video has been taken off of youtube!
Scalare
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodabes wrote:
Anything that becomes popular on YouTube will have to leave YouTube, because it's a site that offers no options for serious content creators.

And you know why that is? Because youtube was never intended for serious content creators. It's meant for the general public as a means to express themselves, not as a space where people with commercial interests can promote themselves or their products.

Saying that anything that becomes popular will have to leave is kinda bullshitty, don't you think? This is the reality: anything that becomes popular on youtube with the intention of becoming popular and generating revenue, will eventually have to leave youtube because youtube doesn't generate revenue for them, only popularity.

Secondly, why would people who participate in a community which was created for the sole purpose of human interaction and self-expression through video's ever have to expect the community to reward them with money, if that's something the community wasn't created for at all?

In my opinion, if the creators intended to startup a project to make money they should've stated that immediately and started up on revver itself, instead of infiltrating in a community to gain popularity, and then taking the viewers of that community to another site in order to generate revenue.
Astrantia
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Scalare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: