Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New Fan Fic Section
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: The New Fan Fic Section Reply with quote

Ok firstly let me say, I know you guys aren't done moving stuff or renaming stuff and what not. But I already have a few issues. There are a couple fairly large Fan Fics that now have threads in all five of the sections (or like 3-4, anyways most of them). It's so hard when those threads are still relative to what's going on and now you have to sift threw 4 forum topics to try to find them. This new system does not make it an easier, it's just a huge mess to me. For example:

Facility J
HSA
Cassie stuff

Should all have their own thread topics. There are tons of threads on all three of those. It would be a a lot simpler and cleaner to have them with their own sections, untill they are over (will HSA and Facility J, we know cassie is never going to die). Not only that but then other Fan Fic wont get burried under all the Facility J, cassie, HSA stuff. Anyways just my thoughts.
romanceismusic
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely have to agree on this one. I'm still trying to play catch up on FacilityJ, and now its just going to be that much harder because everything is strewn about. And kit has a point, if new fan-fic stuff arises, its just going to get buried under all the active arg-ish stuff.
Op Heads
GTKEO Addicts

I love you all!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Fan Fic Section Reply with quote

ShardinsKitten wrote:
Ok firstly let me say, I know you guys aren't done moving stuff or renaming stuff and what not. But I already have a few issues. There are a couple fairly large Fan Fics that now have threads in all five of the sections (or like 3-4, anyways most of them). It's so hard when those threads are still relative to what's going on and now you have to sift threw 4 forum topics to try to find them. This new system does not make it an easier, it's just a huge mess to me. For example:

Facility J
HSA
Cassie stuff

Should all have their own thread topics. There are tons of threads on all three of those. It would be a a lot simpler and cleaner to have them with their own sections, untill they are over (will HSA and Facility J, we know cassie is never going to die). Not only that but then other Fan Fic wont get burried under all the Facility J, cassie, HSA stuff. Anyways just my thoughts.

What ShardinsKitten said. I brought this up earlier today in another thread, and I know I agreed to be a good sport, and go along with the new change, and I will. But I need to voice my opinion that I really don't see this helping. I don't see how it can do anything but confuse things.

By the way, thank you for implementing the topic naming suggestions that were proposed. Smile

And Mods, I don't want you to think I'm unappreciative of your work. I think you guys do a great job. I just think we can find a more workable solution for organizing the fan fic. Thanks for letting me gripe Razz
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of "In Development" is to encourage the exchange of ideas and provide resources for video makers and those who want to try their hand at it.

"Fan Fic Lobby" is for non-vid contributions like blogs and stories as well as vids that are non-LG related.

I would have liked an ARG section or sections, but as we discussed the creation of the new sections, it became clear that we could have a dozen areas created in no time and the forum would be out of control.

There's a relatively simple solution to the ARG/Puzzle concerns. We can post everything ARG related in the "In Depth Discussion" area since that's usually what ends up happening anyway. Let me know what you think.
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trainer101 wrote:
The idea of "In Development" is to encourage the exchange of ideas and provide resources for video makers and those who want to try their hand at it.

"Fan Fic Lobby" is for non-vid contributions like blogs and stories as well as vids that are non-LG related.

I would have liked an ARG section or sections, but as we discussed the creation of the new sections, it became clear that we could have a dozen areas created in no time and the forum would be out of control.

There's a relatively simple solution to the ARG/Puzzle concerns. We can post everything ARG related in the "In Depth Discussion" area since that's usually what ends up happening anyway. Let me know what you think.

Right when a new vid comes out you can talk about it in New Releases. If there is puzzle solving or anything additional you go to In Depth discussion. That's 2 threads and it's not like videos are released in volume every day, most fresh stuff should hover around the top half of the pages. That's basically how it works for the lg15 vids in the Mysteries in Plot section.

Everyone who goes to the trouble to make something should have an equal opportunity to be seen. If you take a look at the official lg15 forum sections there is a "Mysteries in Plot" section and a "OpAphid: The Official LG15 Alternate Reality Game" section. I can see making a separation based on that. So maybe there should be a fan created ARG section. FARG?

But aside from that there is also the lgpedia. This would seem the logical place to go to catch up on the history of any one particular series. Also, with the new thread naming system if you did a search for example "[discussion] AND FacilityJ" you should be go to go. I also noticed for OpAphid there are a number of summary threads. There also can't be dozens of stickied threads so maybe someone can start some threads with something like a [REFERENCE] tag?

Something else to keep in mind is that there is new site functionality for fan creations that might make these issues less of a concern or facilitate additional changes.
romanceismusic
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trainer101 wrote:

My only issue with this is that there is so much content for each of the arg's that it will become insane to keep things sorted. Plus, with all of the different types of posts being made for each one, [speculation, puzzle, discussion, etc.], it could become very cluttered, very quickly. I understand that the changes are being made in best interest of the forums, and that it could become even crazier for each arg-ish thing to have a section, but maybe just give sections to stuff with large amounts of threads.

EDIT: because I spell like a tard.
Op Heads
GTKEO Addicts

I love you all!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'll say that I commend the moderators and administrator for taking the initiative to try to renovate the somewhat flawed Fan Fiction section. Unfortunately, I feel that the specific changes that were made have been a substantial step backwards.

Rather than having to check one forum to see and discuss fan creations, these threads are now somewhat haphazardly strewn about five different forums. I'm not blaming the moderators for this one bit, but the fact of the matter is that many of these topics do not lend themselves to the easy categorization as one of the five things for which subforums have been made. Also, fan video series and ARGs that are substantially prolific (NBR, Neural N3t, HSAO, CiW, FacilityJ, Itscassie, etc...) are burying other topics from new or smaller fan video artists.

I propose, instead, that separate subforums be created for some of the most prolific fan video series and ARGs.

Now, I know that you don't want to give preferential treatment to some series over others. I understand this completely. I think that a reasonable solution to this concern would be to set up some objective standard (based on the series' longevity, number of videos, number of posts relating to it, etc...) for giving that series its own subforum.

And, this approach would have many benefits. Firstly, it would be great for people who follow videos/ARGs that have been given a subforum, as all of the posts about that series/ARG will be in one place, and much easier to follow. Furthermore, for people who don't enjoy or follow a particular series/ARG, it would be much easier for them to disregard posts relating to that ARG. They could just avoid going into that subforum, and never have to worry that the topics that they're interested in will get buried by topics that they're not interested in. A clutter of ten subforums is much easier to navigate than a clutter of thousands of posts.

I hope that you will take this into consideration.
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:
First of all, I'll say that I commend the moderators and administrator for taking the initiative to try to renovate the somewhat flawed Fan Fiction section. Unfortunately, I feel that the specific changes that were made have been a substantial step backwards.

Rather than having to check one forum to see and discuss fan creations, these threads are now somewhat haphazardly strewn about five different forums. I'm not blaming the moderators for this one bit, but the fact of the matter is that many of these topics do not lend themselves to the easy categorization as one of the five things for which subforums have been made. Also, fan video series and ARGs that are substantially prolific (NBR, Neural N3t, HSAO, CiW, FacilityJ, Itscassie, etc...) are burying other topics from new or smaller fan video artists.

I propose, instead, that separate subforums be created for some of the most prolific fan video series and ARGs.

Now, I know that you don't want to give preferential treatment to some series over others. I understand this completely. I think that a reasonable solution to this concern would be to set up some objective standard (based on the series' longevity, number of videos, number of posts relating to it, etc...) for giving that series its own subforum.

And, this approach would have many benefits. Firstly, it would be great for people who follow videos/ARGs that have been given a subforum, as all of the posts about that series/ARG will be in one place, and much easier to follow. Furthermore, for people who don't enjoy or follow a particular series/ARG, it would be much easier for them to disregard posts relating to that ARG. They could just avoid going into that subforum, and never have to worry that the topics that they're interested in will get buried by topics that they're not interested in. A clutter of ten subforums is much easier to navigate than a clutter of thousands of posts.

I hope that you will take this into consideration.

Trainer I understand what you're saying. But I'm completely with TOSG here. It would be so much easier to navigate, moderate, view, keep track of things ect ect. I would much rather have more sub forms like this, then what there is now. What this is now is a mess, and a headache.

I know there is the lgpedia, but it takes a lot of work to keep that up to date, and not all the information ever gets posted there, it's much easier when you're already in the forums just to look up the threads. plus if you need/want to quote something from one thread to another, or start a new topic from something said in another thread ect ect. It could be like...

General Fan Fic
HSAO
Neural N3t
Facility J
Cassie Spin offs
(add more for other larger things as needed)
Older Fan Fic (for fan fic that is not longer relevant or around ect).

Just an example, probably needs some tweaking but you see what I mean.
romanceismusic
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the setup Kit has suggestion. One of my main concerns about this setup is that stuff from all of the arg/fanfics have been moved to the archived section. This section is locked. So if something is revealed, or needs discussed, a new thread will have to be made. This unfortunately, will just add to the clutter, making it even more difficult to keep things in order.
Op Heads
GTKEO Addicts

I love you all!
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShardinsKitten wrote:
Not only that but then other Fan Fic wont get burried under all the Facility J, cassie, HSA stuff. Anyways just my thoughts.

In New Releases there are threads for the new videos from the last two weeks. No one series seems to be dominating. The In Depth discussion section has threads that are over a month old. I don't remember how old the threads in the old Cassie and HSA sections were but that means there had to be some extremely stale threads. If it's a month old it would be in the In Depth discussion section and if it older than a month I wouldn't call it buried-it's well on it's way to being stale.

romanceismusic wrote:
My only issue with this is that there is so much content for each of the arg's that it will become insane to keep things sorted. Plus, with all of the different types of posts being made for each one, [speculation, puzzle, discussion, etc.], it could become very cluttered, very quickly.

If you noticed the OpAphid section is a ghost town. Obviously FacilityJ has filled the void OpAphid left. The ARG is a different animal and if there a lot of them I can see how it would get to be a problem. Right now it just looks like there is HSA and FacilityJ.

TOSG wrote:
Rather than having to check one forum to see and discuss fan creations, these threads are now somewhat haphazardly strewn about five different forums.

Unless you make or want to make vids you don't have to go to the In Development section. Unless the series you follow has written fan fic or fan art, which would be cool but hasn't happened yet, you don't have to go into the Fanfix Lobby. The Archive section has outdated info. The leaves 2 sections. New Releases to discuss new vids and In Depth Discussion which primarily only has topics pertaining to Cassie, HSA, and FacilityJ.

TOSG wrote:
I think that a reasonable solution to this concern would be to set up some objective standard (based on the series' longevity, number of videos, number of posts relating to it, etc...) for giving that series its own subforum.

Again- I think the better argument is ARG's are discussed differently and treating ARG like other fan creations is putting apples with oranges. You can have a thread with a hundred views and those views are 100 unique posters and another with 500 views but still only 100 unique posters because that thread was about an ARG and those 100 people were working out a puzzle. They would actually be equally popular but the ARG posters have different needs. If you asked ten different people which series deserved their own sections you'd get ten different lists. I think if you could show a fan creation or ARG could sustain a page of topics that are no more than 2 weeks old for a sustained period of time you'd have a better case for it to have it's own section.

I think it's just too early to make these claims. I could see if this was a week from now and that there were so many new topics in the In Depth discussion section that threads a week old were getting knocked off the front page but that hasn't happened.
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a contributor to the section in question, I'd like to add my support to the changes that have been made. I agree with immortal1; it is too early to tell if the changes need to be tweaked in any way. Perhaps TOSG is correct, but we need to give the changes some time and see.
romanceismusic
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:

TOSG wrote:
Rather than having to check one forum to see and discuss fan creations, these threads are now somewhat haphazardly strewn about five different forums.

Unless you make or want to make vids you don't have to go to the In Development section. Unless the series you follow has written fan fic or fan art, which would be cool but hasn't happened yet, you don't have to go into the Fanfix Lobby. The Archive section has outdated info. The leaves 2 sections. New Releases to discuss new vids and In Depth Discussion which primarily only has topics pertaining to Cassie, HSA, and FacilityJ.

Not true. There are a few threads for FacilityJ, and a few other fanfics where video and discussion has happened in the same thread. As well as where threads have discussed several events and had several discussions. Also, the problem with the archive section (because you seem to have missed my point), is that if something from an older thread needs to be later discussed, instead of being able to just open up that thread and continue the discussion, a new thread will now need to be made. This not only causes a bit of confusion to some, but also makes a bit more clutter.

ApotheosisAZ wrote:
As a contributor to the section in question, I'd like to add my support to the changes that have been made. I agree with immortal1; it is too early to tell if the changes need to be tweaked in any way. Perhaps TOSG is correct, but we need to give the changes some time and see.

I support changes being made to the FanFic section, as it was a mess before. But, I think it can be done a little better/differently. I already dislike the new setup because it confused me right away (no surprise there, right?). I would at least like to request that the archived stuff be unlocked, because like i've stated before, many things may need to be opened up for re-discussion.
Op Heads
GTKEO Addicts

I love you all!
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanceismusic wrote:
I would at least like to request that the archived stuff be unlocked, because like i've stated before, many things may need to be opened up for re-discussion.

A sensible and reasonable request which I also support. In fact, if I were capable as a moderator of implementing romanceismusic's suggestion, I would immediately do so. It is wise.
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly this is a huge mess, bigger then what we had before, which was also a huge mess but not as bad. The theory and intent is excellent. It in action, is not so excellent. Nothing from a still running arg should be locked into a sub category. That's just, I don't even get the reasoning behind that, what if someone new wants to join, and they have a question about one of things in there... now they have to make a whole new topic about just to ask a simple question. Come on.

Immortal I just don't agree with you, I probably never will and that's ok. But there wont be 10 different lists. There aren't that many major Fan Fic ARGs and frankly I don't see there ever being that many made.
HSA and Facility J now have threads thrown about 3 different sub categories (including the one that's locked). I'm not really involved in HSA so I don't know how important that is to them. I know it has a lot of threads and a lot of people on the forums are involved with it, and it is long running now. But if anyone has ever even taken a look at the Facility J ARG it's pretty complicated and it helps tremendously to go back and look at past puzzles and stuff. Which is nearly impossible to do with this system. It took me almost 20 minutes to find the one thread I was looking for today. This isn't organization this is chaos. At least before everything was in one spot.

Most ARGs take up a lot of threads. I don't see why it would be such a big deal to give proven Fan Fic ARGs their own sections. I'm talking the ones that have drops, or packages mailed out, have regular puzzles, and have a decent amount of people on the Forums following it their own section.

I'm not sure HSA has drops or mailed packages, but just by the amount of threads and people doing it, I think it would classify for it's own section, and I'm not even a part of it. Heck it had it's own section forever.

Facility J should have its own section. It has everything to classify it as an ARG and none of us see it ending anytime soon.

I still think Cassie spin offs should have their own too, because everyone does cassie stuff. and heck there are still cassie stickies in the forums.

Anyways I don't mean to offend anyone, or belittle the mods hard work that went into this. But I think given time it's only going to get more chaotic then it already is. I don't see this becoming a good thing. It needs to be tweaked.
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add that I love the "in development" section and have wanted something like this for a while.

Also, I agree that the old topics should be unlocked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: