Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Community Commentary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> P. Monkey's Playhouse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatchingOne
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an epiphany!! (Don't worry, it didn't hurt!)

Is there a way to set up a Preferences cookie so that individual users could specify how many comments they would like to see on the page?

You know, like 0 Comments, Comments within last 30 minutes, 2 hours, 6 hours, or All Comments? Wouldn't that satisfy the ones who want faster load times AND those that want to see the comments?

Just a thought....
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching One.. that's a really cool idea.

I think if we do a private chat with the Creators, you should be included.

But, better yet.. If we wait for the new programmer and schedule a meeting with him/her that is closed to the public but open to the 10 ten people who have constructive suggestions, I think that would be far more worthwhile.

Thoughts?
*Daniel's Fan Club Founder
http://www.youtube.com/whitetigerdream
*My Books: http://www.laurapaxton.com/borderline.html
modelmotion
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: to cookie or not Reply with quote

i have seen sites that have pull down menues that control how many thing get displayed but i do not know if that can be done within WordPress or not.

Someone pointed out that one of the things that weight down the page is the extremely high now of revver videos that are referenced by that page. One way to improve the performance is to reduce the number of videos and then have the rest on a linked page.

I suspect that a programmer can fix the problem pretty quick but once that is done the site still needs to decide where it is going long term. I suggest that we look around at other fan sites and social networking sites and see what ideas would work for LG15.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that is a great idea, MM!

Go for it!

Great initiative.

We'll ALL appreciate THAT!!

betz28
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marbella wrote:
Nice to meet ya too, Betz..

Way cool eye make-up... Is that yours or a pic you foun online?

not mine...i do not wear that much make up...but i just love the pic!
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I like it, too. I like the neon effect~very artsy.

Well, I am going to sleep very soon, but it's been fun to meet you!!
betz28
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you too have a nice sleepy time
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks..

Sweet, sweet dreams to you, too!!
modelmotion
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: how to develop a community Reply with quote

Thanks Marbella, but what I really want to know is what you think.

I mean i know you have been active on the "alternative comments" on the forum. What are your impression. What does Miles think. Is he open to alternatives?

I have been to most of the AJAX based social networking sites and I am not sure that I have found one that I prefer to MySpace but I think the technology is still developing.

I think the thing is that we already have a community and we need to be very sensitive to the needs of that community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: to cookie or not Reply with quote

modelmotion wrote:
i have seen sites that have pull down menues that control how many thing get displayed but i do not know if that can be done within WordPress or not.

Someone pointed out that one of the things that weight down the page is the extremely high now of revver videos that are referenced by that page. One way to improve the performance is to reduce the number of videos and then have the rest on a linked page.

I suspect that a programmer can fix the problem pretty quick but once that is done the site still needs to decide where it is going long term. I suggest that we look around at other fan sites and social networking sites and see what ideas would work for LG15.

This might be a silly comparison, but illwillpress.com has a "toons" page which holds the archived thumbnails from past episodes, keeping only the most recent toon on the homepage. I think an appropriate accomodation here might be to keep the newest vid as the primary, then three past vids and three most recent comment vids with links to their respective archive pages.
fantasma
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that last post (Guest) was mine, I forgot to sign in.

Also, about the comments...

I take classes online, and we have discussion boards as part of our participation requirement. Each "reply" is collapsed when the page is loaded but shows the first few words of the post plus the user's name and date/time of post. All of the comments load on one page, but because they are collapsed the load time is minimal. You can reply to the main board or to individual posts, and once you expand the messages to read them, they are marked as read (so you can keep track of which you've read and which are new since you left). The comments only ever get into the several hundred range but some people write five page essays in their posts, so it seems like it might be an appropriate measure to consider here.

My courses haven't begun yet so I don't have an example of it, but Miles if next week (once the new discussions begin) you'd like to see it I'll slip you my log-in and password (or just give you the site information so you can contact an admin?).
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasma,

Thanks for the very nice tip!

Great to have you on our "Technical Brainstorming" Board!!

I'm afraid I'm off to sleep soon, though!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
WatchingOne
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marbella - I dunno about a private chat with the creators, my mind gets ideas at random times...just make sure you mention some of the brainstorming ideas going on here -they might pick up on a good one!
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Thank You! GREAT start!! Reply with quote

Wednesday, 1/10/07, MIDNIGHT

OK, my fellow lonelycrackers...

I am more than pleased to announce that since late Monday, we have had 10,375 page views and 1100 posts!!!

Whoooo!!

We've already beat out some of the other forums that have been around much longer than we have!! (Not that it's a contest.. please don't take it that way!!!

Rolling Eyes

We've had a lot of fun. I've started to have more fun here than on the general video discussion board. However, as Cloud_Ax noted, people can freely move back and forth between both. I do. It's like double the action.

I'm just happy for all of the people who have never or rarely posted on the forum for your willingness to try something new, and I'm thrilled with all the regulars who show up regularly to show their support.

I feel the divisiveness dissolving..

Must be that good old KABOOM we've been using, huh?

Thanks. Nothing means more to me than UNITY on this website. Thanks so much for everyone for your efforts to move IN that supportive and nurturing direction, rather than away from it, through expressing fear, disdain and negativity.

Cloud_Ax was so happy he gave two of us new titles (involving new responsibilities, of course!) So,now our new Lt. Commander, WatchingOne, is happily giving out medals. Yes, it has been a great day.

Angel

You're all so GOOD!~~

WE are what makes any place a home. It's US, not WHERE we post or are. It's YOU and ME who create our space to be. Thanks for being part of turning my space and your space into OUR space, and working to rebuild our solidarity more strongly!

Much Love..

Good Night All,

Marbella
modelmotion
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: the vidoes Reply with quote

Ok perhaps i should explain how I think things work. Think of WordPress as the basic skelton. What they do is use code that is generated by REVVER to create the video feeds. That is code that is designed by REVVER but is is implanted into the skeleton WordPress page. The videos on the left are one set of code and the videos on the right are a different set of code each pulling a different feed from REVVER.

Now it is very easy to change the number of videos in the feed and you have control over the size of the icon (which is just about right). All they need to do is reduce the number of videos to the show the most recent vdeos and it would probably speed up the page considerably.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> P. Monkey's Playhouse All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 3 of 36

Jump to: