Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hymn of One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mellie3204
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the thoughts about Hathor...

Googling "Denderah" and "hymn" brought up a page about "Hymn to Hathor:
The Egyptian agricultural cycle" which is apparently an "inscription is engraved on a doorpost of the Hathor sanctuary at Denderah".

Page is located at:
http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/texts/hathorhymn.htm

Not sure if it's any use, but throwing it out there as a further possible link!

Back to drumming my fingers waiting for a new vid Razz
Kanazaka
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work garnet Very Happy ! I agree with the idea that Hymn of One is recruitment organization that acts like a religion, and its initiates must prove themselves worthy before joining the Order of Denderah. Either that, or the Order of Denderah consists solely of authority figures, and followers of the Order practice the "religion" dictated by Hymn of One. It looks like there is a definite link between the two, since they share common beliefs. So far, though, I don't get a sense that this belief system concretely believes in a moral code (i.e. Ten Commandments, the Torah, etc.). That is, Bree hasn't spoken much about the Order's belief in the afterlife and a companion punishment/reward system. Which would make sense, since the Hymn of One doesn't worship a Judeo-Christian type God, but rather a pantheon of gods and goddesses. But if that's the case, why would the Order prioritize one god or goddess over another, as seems to be the case by their pursuit of Bree to perform a ceremony to one of the deities. Perhaps she is only one piece of the puzzle, and more specifically the remaining piece. Perhaps Hymn of One has already recruited candidates for other positions within the Order, or sacrifices, or whatever happens at the Ceremony. And perhaps that is why there seems to be no deadline for the Order's pursuit, and why they continue to chase her. They're impatient.
garnet
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Zodiac of Denderah? Reply with quote

Well. . . I've read a lot of stuff now and can't remember what's where, but I think that during the time the Egyptians believed in One god (Aten), they didn't totally get rid of all the others. It was more like the idea that the whole world was unified under this single, life-force, but these other manifestations of god's power in nature still existed. So, I thought maybe Bree's religion was based on that -- One unifying force with many outlets. But I don't know. That's up to the creators.

Throughout history, new beliefs have been layered on top of old ones. That's why we Christians celebrate Easter today . . . on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox . . .

http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm

it's a fertility festival. Hence the eggs.

What I've found in my research is that world religions have more in common than not. For instance, the theme of resurrection, re-birth, new life, and starting over is one which transcends years and miles.

Perhaps the reason that I had such an easy time connecting all of the divergent religious and philosophical references in LG15 isn't the genius of the creators (sorry), but the fact that we're all connected. These archetypes are simply a part of the human experience. . . whether you're religous or not. Maybe I'm just waxing poetic, but I think there's some truth to it. . .

So, back to Bree. Her Myspace URL lists her zodiac sign as Capricorn (traditionally Dec 22- Jan 19), but her birthday according to the LGPedia is supposed to be October 26th. There are several possible explainations. One is that people lie on Myspace. I mean, her age is listed as 107. Another is that she's using a different Zodiac (Denderah?). Personally, I like that explaination. The third is that it's a mistake / oversight on the part of the c's. I wonder which it is. I think I'll go ask Bree herself Confused
Cleo
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Gender Reply with quote

Descriptions of goddess cults always seem to rely on essentialist explanations of gender roles, i.e. the masculine is active and the feminine is passive. Interpreters of these essentialist spiritual categories tend to extrapolate them into intensely problematic gender politics. The author of the (albeit well-researched) masonry link that garnet provided is certainly no exception, and neither is Crowley, a noted misogynist. I'll paste a few bits from Wikipedia here:

"Biographer Lawrence Sutin stated that Crowley 'largely accepted the notion, implicitly embodied in Victorian sexology, of women as secondary social beings in terms of intellect and sensibility.' Crowley stated that women, except 'a few rare individuals,' care most about having children and will conspire against their husbands if they lack children to whom to devote themselves. In Confessions, Crowley says he learned this from his first marriage. He claimed that their intentions were to force a man to abandon his life's work for their interests. He only found women 'tolerable', he wrote, when they served the role of solely helping a man in his life's work. However, he said that they were incapable of actually understanding the work. He also claimed that women did not have individuality and were solely guided by their habits or impulses."

Clearly Crowley's misogyny does not dictate that all religious sects based on his ideas be equally oafishly reductionist. What's truly ironic though is that Bree has clearly been raised to be a thinking woman. Furthermore, since her involvement in The Hymn of One, Bree's mother seems to have turned her back on everything positive about the passive sacred feminine--humility, kindness, the ability to nurture etc. So far, most of the people connected with the Order in LG15 have women: Bree's mom, Lucy, Gemma, and Alex. The latter two could be pawns. However, Alex herself expressed some feminist sentiments (deemed boring by Daniel) about how women are judged by appearance in the workplace. Is she voicing the beliefs of the surprisingly forward-thinking Order or is she voicing frustration with patriarchy in the Order itself?

Basically, because Bree's religion (hoax or no hoax) appears to have beliefs and rituals grounded in specific ideas of gender, I wonder exactly what they are and how they connect to the greater aims of the Order.
sororyzbl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gender Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:
Descriptions of goddess cults always seem to rely on essentialist explanations of gender roles, i.e. the masculine is active and the feminine is passive. Interpreters of these essentialist spiritual categories tend to extrapolate them into intensely problematic gender politics. The author of the (albeit well-researched) masonry link that garnet provided is certainly no exception, and neither is Crowley, a noted misogynist. I'll paste a few bits from Wikipedia here:

Crowley's misogyny was usually directed towards specific women, most notably his mother and Rose Kelly, rather than women as a whole.

In Thelema, Hathor (Ahathoor) is frequently associated with the positive feminine properties of Ra-Hoor-Khuit, the Lord of the Aeon. She also corresponds with the mid-day sun. She is mentioned in the Book of the Law, as well as during Liber Resh.

Re: Crowley's misogyny, people tend to grasp on his bitching about the women in his life (who were, typically, pretty messed up women), but this gives a little insight on his opinion of Woman as an ideal:

from <b>Every Woman is a Star</b> - Aleister Crowley
Quote:
We of Thelema say that "Every man and every woman is a star". We do not fool and flatter women; we do not despise and abuse them. To us a woman is Herself, absolute, original, independent, free, self justified, exactly as a man is.

We dare not thwart Her Going, Goddess she! We arrogate no right upon Her will; we claim not to deflect Her development, to dispose of Her desires, or to determine Her destiny. She is Her own sole arbiter; we ask no more than to supply our strength to Her, whose natural weakness else were prey to the world's pressure. Nay more, it were too zealous even to guard Her in Her Going; for She were best by Her own self-reliance to win Her own way forth!

That text is quite empowering, especially in the early 1900's, where women in most of the world couldn't vote, couldn't own property, and certainly couldn't be ordained or serve as the head of a church. Crowley's ideas on women's equality, while to today's eyes look misogynistic, were actually about 50 years before their time when it comes to our liberation - politically, spiritually, sexually, and most importantly the ability for us to live our lives as our Will takes us.

So put this all with the Hymn of One, and you're gonna have a bunch of strong women in charge.

Hmmm.. I'm kinda starting to like the Hymn of One LOL. It's like the OTO for girls!
MCH/TA,X ++ CO1,PEG/SG,W+,N++, Dd+, Dr+, A, a+, C++, G++, QH+++,666+++, Y+++
------END MAGIC CODE BLOCK------
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got silly and decided to check any anagrams for Hymn of One.

"Hymen Noof" stuck out.
Noof is another name for the Egyptian god Ptah.
Hymen is the Greek goddess of marriage.

Just throwing that out there.
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janesalteredstates wrote:
"Hymen Noof" stuck out.
Muahahahahhahaaa. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sorry...that's just so funny to me.
Yeah, I'm probably being very juvenile.

But...
Muahahahahhahahhahahahaaaa!

heh heh heh
hymen noof
Cleo
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sororyzbl. I do like the star passage; I'm glad to see that kind of empowerment in any religious text. Crowley's misogyny, at least from my limited reading, does leak into his discussion of sex magick and the like. Discussion of it would be inappropriate for the board but the Wikipedia post on OTO briefly addresses it. If their information is too much out of context, maybe some of you guys who know more about Crowley could edit those entries (the beauty of a wiki). I do realize that Crowley was, to some degree, a product of his times, social class, and personal struggles.

Regardless, I don't find essentialist gender categories offensive as spiritual models. Unfortunately, people tend to apply them poorly to real life, implying that all women actually fit into a single category whose purpose is subordinate to that of men. It will be interesting to see how Bree's religion applies these categories. I also wonder how much the tenets of the faith are in place to allow the Order to continue to gain influence and control and if any of this does relate to gender. Most New World Order theories (which I assume influenced the creators in the Order plot element) revolve around things like Masonry, Skull and Bones, etc...organizations that only allow men.
pipedream1138
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Pidgeon? Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that the word "pidgeon" is misspelled on the HoO website? The correct spelling is "pigeon." Unless it is a reference to a surname, or the pidgeon process (some chemistry stuff), did someone just forget to proof read, or could this be a clue?
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pidgeon? Reply with quote

pipedream1138 wrote:
Has anyone noticed that the word "pidgeon" is misspelled on the HoO website? The correct spelling is "pigeon." Unless it is a reference to a surname, or the pidgeon process (some chemistry stuff), did someone just forget to proof read, or could this be a clue?

That's how the word is supposed to be spelled in the quote.
epogen
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The unicursal hexagram also bears some resemblance to the Masonic square and compass. Crowley has strong connections to freemasonry.

masonic symbolism also comes up when searching sacred texts.com for meridian. just as an aside.

sirius seems pretty important here. and i am off to search some more, here's a previous discussion that applies

lonelygirl15.com/viewtopic.php?p=303805&highlight=#303805

Quote:
That's how the word is supposed to be spelled in the quote.

always the voice of reason lurker. however i am also struck, and i know this has no bearing on the story, by the fact that pidgeon is a mix of hawaiian, english, philippine, japanese and chinese spoken by natives in hawaii. this has some literary resonance with the spanglish theme of the last vid eh?

ed to add link, hope it works.
marlasinger
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicursal_Hexagram

(someone's linked to that I'm sure, right?)

I doubt that pidgeon has anything to do with it - and I wouldn't say that the pidgeon we speak has any chinese or japanese in it

...we sor' of jus' bootcha wards, ya? broak tong' dey say, ya.

The Bree Solution.
http://one.revver.com/watch/330795

"Also... im in ur canons... supporting all ur marlas."
-AutoPilate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jumpingtadpoles
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten a letter!!!

I have been a lurker for a LONG time... I am pretty excited

and nervous Embarassed
HenrySugar
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a response from HoO today:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You for Contacting The Hymn of One.

We appreciate your interest in our group, and look forward to speaking with you in the future. Although we are away on a spiritual retreat, we have added you to our weekly inspirational email list.

Enjoy your journey down the path towards happiness and freedom from fear and insecurity!

The Elders
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like they're on vacation right now.
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumpingtadpoles wrote:
I have gotten a letter!!!

I have been a lurker for a LONG time... I am pretty excited

and nervous Embarassed

Welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: