Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am 98% sure I know what the ceremony is.(possible spoiler)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esteed
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: I am 98% sure I know what the ceremony is.(possible spoi Reply with quote

silvermoon wrote:
Better to leave it all alone if you don't know what you are doing.

Amen to that.
fan
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although people who don't know what they're doing don't always know that they don't know what they're doing.
silvermoon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fan wrote:
Although people who don't know what they're doing don't always know that they don't know what they're doing.

There's an old saying that "God looks out for fools, drunks and little children."

Hopefully if someone is ignorant enough to mess with things they don't really understand, there is a higher power looking out for them and keeping them safe.
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I had planned, at one point, on writing up this big post about what the creators are doing wrong here and using Lovecraft as an example of how to do it correctly.

I am a bit confused by this thread. I feel the need to be very clear about some things:
The Necronomicon was invented by Lovecraft, but he never wrote this book. It was a book within a story. There is no "real" necronomicon.
Some (crazy) people like to say that Lovecraft and Crowley actually knew one another, or at least, met and Crowley was the inspiration for the lovecraftian universe. This is not true, however it makes for fun fiction and I could see it being incorporated into this story.
I would also LOVE to see the Breeniverse be inside the Lovecraftian world! Cthulhu anyone?

I recommend every last one of you read as much as you can by H.P. Lovecraft as he is one of the greatest horror writers of all time.
Also, he did what the creators are allegedly attempting. He created a universe in which other writers could create their own stories. Lovecraft's world exists to this day.
On of Stephen King's first stories was written in the Lovecraftian universe. It is called "Jerusalem's Lot." Many famous writers and many well-known stories are Lovecraftian by definition.

Wow, I went on there. All of this said, I do not quite get where the ceremony comes in unless you are suggesting that Bree (or whoever the girl chosen is) mates with one of the Old Ones or raises someone from the dead, or something?
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all this ends up being about Cthulhu, I withdraw all my past harsh criticism.
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
If all this ends up being about Cthulhu, I withdraw all my past harsh criticism.

Edit because I found this one:

OK, new smilies... let's get on it Mods. heehee.
silvermoon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janesalteredstates wrote:

I am a bit confused by this thread. I feel the need to be very clear about some things:
The Necronomicon was invented by Lovecraft, but he never wrote this book. It was a book within a story. There is no "real" necronomicon.
Some (crazy) people like to say that Lovecraft and Crowley actually knew one another, or at least, met and Crowley was the inspiration for the lovecraftian universe. This is not true, however it makes for fun fiction and I could see it being incorporated into this story.
I would also LOVE to see the Breeniverse be inside the Lovecraftian world! Cthulhu anyone?

I recommend every last one of you read as much as you can by H.P. Lovecraft as he is one of the greatest horror writers of all time.
Also, he did what the creators are allegedly attempting. He created a universe in which other writers could create their own stories. Lovecraft's world exists to this day.
On of Stephen King's first stories was written in the Lovecraftian universe. It is called "Jerusalem's Lot." Many famous writers and many well-known stories are Lovecraftian by definition.

(quote shortened for length)

If you had read through the thread, you would have seen that several of the posts stated that the Necronomicon was, indeed, "fake" and that it was made up by Lovecraft (who many of us have already read and enjoyed).

No, Lovecraft did not go on to write the Necronomicon. But many have been written, and many have used already established rituals and ceremonies from other occult traditions/religions.

The rest of the thread was a warning to those who would go out and by any version of the Necronomicon or any other occult book and "play" with the writings in them.

Before you assume that we are all ignorant of the facts, I would ask that you actually read through the thread before making that assumption.
cheeseytoRRie
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: i dont know Reply with quote

ok... so i wa do ing a little research and this is what i came up with

THE NECRONOMICON MYTHOS ACCORDING TO H.P. LOVECRAFT

"The Necronomicon contains dark secrets about the real nature of the Earth and the universe. According to the Necronomicon the Earth was once ruled by the Old Ones, powerful beings from other worlds or other dimensions."

"The Necronomicon STRONGLY hints that there is a cult or group of cults that worships the Old Ones and seeks to aid them gain control of this planet. One of the tactics attempted by this cult is to breed human and Old One offspring that will then multiply and ingress into terrestrial life until the Old Ones return to their pre-ordained position."

"There are many other important gods mentioned in the Necronomicon. One group of these deities, the Other Gods seem to be true Gods (unlike the Old Ones and Cthulhu who seem simply to be very powerful entities)."

I havent quite decifered what all this means, but i have a feeling if you go out and buy one of the spell books and try it... i dont think something good will come out of it. it sounds like it takes A LOT of knowlage of the subject to know whats going on.
i just whant to state that i dont beleve in this religon. I just research what interest me.

toRRie, Lata
silvermoon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovecraft also stated (til the day that he died) that the Necronomicon was a fiction book that he made up.

Anything else he said about it was based on fiction.

The "religion" is one that is made up and based on aliens (the "old ones"). No one actually believes it's a real religion. (Okay, some people probably do, but they probably also believe the Hale Bop comet is coming to take them home, as well)

Again, any books called the Necronomicon have nothing to do with Lovecraft, besides the fact that they "borrowed" the name from his book.

As far as not messing around with what is in the books (or any other occult books) -- if you have not studied the occult, you have absolutely no business "playing" in it.
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermoon wrote:

(quote shortened for length)

If you had read through the thread, you would have seen that several of the posts stated that the Necronomicon was, indeed, "fake" and that it was made up by Lovecraft (who many of us have already read and enjoyed).

No, Lovecraft did not go on to write the Necronomicon. But many have been written, and many have used already established rituals and ceremonies from other occult traditions/religions.

The rest of the thread was a warning to those who would go out and by any version of the Necronomicon or any other occult book and "play" with the writings in them.

Before you assume that we are all ignorant of the facts, I would ask that you actually read through the thread before making that assumption.

I did read through the thread. I know that people have written Necronomicons. I also know about people who take it seriously and base religious crap on it. I just don't think they are worth paying attention to, much like I don't care much for those people who base religious practices on that bible thing.

I never assumed anything. You are assuming that what I meant to say was "you don't know stuff" which is really your own issue, not mine. I felt the need to reiterate because people sounded confused. Let me be very clear, I mean that "some people sounded confused" and not "you are all ignorant." Also, the subject lead into what I really wanted to say which was that those who hadn't should read Lovecraft. He is great.

Whatever reason you found to attack me, unfind it.
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermoon stop calling cheeseytoRRie ignorant!
silvermoon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read through the thread. I know that people have written Necronomicons. I also know about people who take it seriously and base religious crap on it. I just don't think they are worth paying attention to, much like I don't care much for those people who base religious practices on that bible thing.

I never assumed anything. You are assuming that what I meant to say was "you don't know stuff" which is really your own issue, not mine. I felt the need to reiterate because people sounded confused. Let me be very clear, I mean that "some people sounded confused" and not "you are all ignorant." Also, the subject lead into what I really wanted to say which was that those who hadn't should read Lovecraft. He is great.

Whatever reason you found to attack me, unfind it.

Maybe you should think about how you word things, because it did come off as a "hey you are stupid, look at all the things I know". Maybe if you had said "like some other people mentioned in this thread" instead of just stating facts that had already been stated it would have been understood as trying to "help".

And I'll be the bigger person here and say I am sorry if I made you feel attacked. It is frustrating to feel lectured to on something that you've already tried multiple times to clear up.

You might have meant "some people sounded confused" but you certainly made me feel "you are all ignorant".

silvermoon stop calling cheeseytoRRie ignorant!

If you think I am being rude to another forum member, report me to a mod and stop trying to start trouble.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the list of things you should never talk about in a public setting, religion has to be at the top. We saw the same issues in the Complaints and Concerns thread where a single issue turns into something greater, and people quickly become offended. It's the thing people are most passionate about.

Anyway, I just read through this whole thread, and I don't think anyone is posting condescendingly or calling anyone ignorant. You're discussing research, and some people know more about this than others, but we should all remember to be open and constructive in our conversation.

Regardless, this is all off topic. The original post was about how Lovecraft's creation may be influencing the LG15 storyline, and now it's a discussion of this book and whether people can summon spirits and the like. Please take this line of conversation to Off the Cuff and stay on topic. Thanks!
silvermoon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder, BK, and sorry for going off topic. Embarassed
Cleo
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

Why would the Order even care if she did the ceremony if the religion is a front?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: