Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fan videos (whats good?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> In-Depth Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
platypusrex256
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: you asked for it! Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
What's working and what isn't working in your opinion. Smile

true true i can only speak for myself. however, i'd like to think that quality and entertainment isn't completley subjective.

i think it is safe to say that most of the videos are for fans only. they cater to an interist that is rather exclusive to the lg15 community. you might even say that the lg15 crowd aims only to amuse themselves (i mean eachother). i'm not sure if anybody on the outside can really understand unless they bring themselves into the lg15 universe.

CiW will always be legend among lg15 fanvideos. there were only 2 or 3 of them, right? and then there was the cheasy swan song that was in 3d. i never understood that one.

i have seen alot of the fan videos but i've watched them less and less as it seems that everybody and their mom has been making fan videos and i would argue that the quality has decreased. but then again, i'm a cranky scenester and my opinion shouldn't ruin your day.

i'm most interested in the lg15 culture as a communications student. speaking of which, i must run to studdy for my upcomming class. media society and the individual. sometime this quarter, i might make a presentation on lg15... so i'm collecting data =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think it is safe to say that most of the videos are for fans only. they cater to an interist that is rather exclusive to the lg15 community. you might even say that the lg15 crowd aims only to amuse themselves (i mean eachother). i'm not sure if anybody on the outside can really understand unless they bring themselves into the lg15 universe.

I think that's safe to say. obviously

Quote:
CiW will always be legend among lg15 fanvideos. there were only 2 or 3 of them, right? and then there was the cheasy swan song that was in 3d. i never understood that one.

CiW was so much more than the vids.. one sec I'll get you a link

http://www.lonelygirl15.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found platypusrex256's post to be very helpful. There hasn't really been a discussion on what the viewer wants. When platypusrex256 asks what's good? I think we're supposed to answer more what makes a good vid and less who makes a good vid.

I've done a crazy amount of research into what does and doesn't work in terms of these videos and I've collaborated with a number of fan vid makers behind the scenes.

I don't believe you have to be a great actor. I don't believe you have to be a super editor. I don't believe you have to be a great writer. If you have a strength in one of these areas though-you should play to your strength. It's alot about strengths and weaknesses. Use your weaknesses to your advantage. My first 3 vids were from a camera that was 12 frames per second. I was moving very slow. I decided not to address it. They were meant to be atmospheric and I thought that actually helped. I could have easily said the camera took a bullet and doesn't work right. Later when I got a better quality camera I thought I should work in why the viewer would be seeing me at a better frame rate. I started out with the old camera, pretended to realize I needed to make a camera adjustment and reached toward the camera, paused, switched cameras and came back using the new camera.

I think there is a difference between a commenter and a spinoff. If you're a commenter character development is your main concern, hollihollis and Nikki B come to mind. If you are a spinoff, story is your main concern. I think the text/powerpoint type vids have a place but I think work better when they present a reason why they are that way. For example, if someone has a need to remain anonymous.

I probably could say a lot about what doesn't make a good vid but I think hurt feelings might come from that so I decided to stick with what makes a good vid.
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: you asked for it! Reply with quote

platypusrex256 wrote:

apotheosisaz has been on and off entertaining. the videos are lacking only in the department that they don't further the story. they act only as a reflection upon what we have already seen.

I would agree with the suggestion that a couple of my videos have been mildly entertaining.

Not all fan video makers attempt to influence or join the story. Some video makers merely attempt to entertain. My humble contributions fall under that heading.
betz28
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chershaytoute WOW...I love your list ~ love each of them in their own way ~ you have to admit there is something for everyone Very Happy

i totally agree with immortal1 ~ there certainly is a difference in the spinoff and commenter videos and i personally love the fact that there are so many people making so many different types of videos.

True....if you are not a LG fan it could be hard to understand some of the videos but that is what makes this community so special...we "get" each other. I think it is cool that I don't "know" these people in real life but they have made a connection with me in a way that someone I do know in real life can't Very Happy

I love my new internet friends!! Applause and applaud everyone!!
TJ Marsh
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Like the love im getting, Thanks guys Smile

Ever Fan Fic is fun, its just what u like Smile
voyboy
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
voyboy's dream sequences have been interesting but like mskelly's videos, they seem to have less and less to do with lg15 and more to do with themselves.

If that was the case Gogo and I would be sharing a cell with padded walls. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
platypusrex256
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
I found platypusrex256's post to be very helpful. There hasn't really been a discussion on what the viewer wants. When platypusrex256 asks what's good? I think we're supposed to answer more what makes a good vid and less who makes a good vid.

thankyou for understanding.
betz28
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"what fan videos are your favorite?"
"because i don't really want to watch them all before i figure out which ones i want to watch"

that was the exact question...not disagreeing ...it could mean anything Wink
voyboy
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like fan-vids just aren't your cup of tea. Maybe you could write a script or story. Surely with all the videos you have seen, you must have some ideas with enough specifics to give premise.

Then who knows...maybe one of us will attempt to make it
Linc
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSA is great, as is Facility J, and of course Nikki B.

I hear that Linc guy's a dick, though.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*giggles*
voyboy
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linc wrote:
HSA is great, as is Facility J, and of course Nikki B.

I hear that Linc guy's a dick, though.

Totally. Who does he think he is anyway. Anyone can blow bubbles in a bathtub.

F*** Linc!
lonelyfan13
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching nikki B, Apo, and itscassie. Although itscassie has kept my interest the most, just because theres something about that girl... Think lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> In-Depth Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: