Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FanFic Section - How would you design it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: FanFic Section - How would you design it? Reply with quote

So there's quite a thread going on over in the Concerns and Complaints section regarding the recent overhaul of the FanFic section.

I'd like to turn the discussion more constructive. Let's use this thread for offering constructive criticism regarding what we like and what we don't like about how the FanFic is organized. What's working for us, what's not, and how we would redesign the things that aren't working so that they better serve the fan fic community. Ill start.

First of all, I really like the new "In Development" section. It's great to have a place to share production tips, ask for help, and learn from what other people are doing. I love it!

I'm also enjoying the "FanFic Lobby". I'm delighted to see the definition of FanFic expanded beyond video responses. I love the videos, but there are so many ways fans can interact through our creativity, I'm thrilled to see this being acknowledged with it's own section.

One of the things I'm not happy about is the loss of the HSA and Cassie sections. I mourn the loss of both of them. It's much more challenging for me to keep up with the HSA storyline now, For example I have no idea whether there's a new password for the notebook yet, and I'm not looking forward to digging through the threads to try to figure it out. I also miss taking a peek into Cassies "Room" to see what the latest is - and what the current "Count" for Cassie knock offs is Laughing

I'm not going to say anything about the Facility J issues here. As a favor to Trainer, I'll give that a rest for awhile. Wink
colbertnationgirl
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Cher, I think it should be in the Suggestions forum. (You don't have to move it, I just think it would fit better there.)

Personally, I'm in love with the new design. I wouldn't change a thing. However, I don't really pay attention to FJ, HSAO, or Cassie fan-fic. I understand there may need to be changes in this area, but I can't help you.
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious, but what makes HSAO or the Cassie spin offs so important that they should get their own forum? The last few weeks I noticed not many people were posting in the HSAO and the only Cassie spin off that is consistantly active is "Itscassie".

Please don't see this post as rude. Embarassed I just want to understand why some people here hold some fanfiction in a higher regard than others. I have my favorites, but I'm not going to rally for a seperate forum for them just so I can find their posts easier. Razz
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to move this to Suggestions (and leave a shadow here so folks can find it). And remove some of the conversation about where it's located so the whole first page isn't off-topic.
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:
I'm just curious, but what makes HSAO or the Cassie spin offs so important that they should get their own forum? The last few weeks I noticed not many people were posting in the HSAO and the only Cassie spin off that is consistantly active is "Itscassie".

Please don't see this post as rude. Embarassed I just want to understand why some people here hold some fanfiction in a higher regard than others. I have my favorites, but I'm not going to rally for a seperate forum for them just so I can find their posts easier. Razz

For Cassie, it's mostly for the infinite Cassies. Though, as you've noted, it's pretty much just one or two Cassies these days.... I never got into HSAO, so I can't really answer there.. Could be that there's enough activity while it's going on that putting unrelated threads in the same section confuses things.

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:

It's not that they are more important. It's that they are a different genre of fan fac that generate a different lkind of fan interaction than your basic videos. I'm not sure when you joined, Libra, but there is a long history with the multitude of Cassies that goes way back to the early days of LG15 with Cassie is Watching. Cassie continues to inspire a plethora of fan interaction, and for many of us it's lots of fun to follow. Many people also, are just plain sick of Cassie and wish she would disappear forever. But I doubt she will. Plain and simple, it's just easier to keep track of the Cassies, and to understand the history of Cassie regarding LG15, when all the Cassie vids are grouped together.

As far as HSAO goes, It's an ARG. There are puzzles to be solved there, and a complex and confusing story line that must be put together. HSAO is the farthest thing from an elitist community you could ever get. They are wonderful people. Again, it's not about them being "better" than anyone else, it's about keeping their threads together so the story can be followed coherently.

Last edited by Luminous on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
I'm going to move this to Suggestions (and leave a shadow here so folks can find it). And remove some of the conversation about where it's located so the whole first page isn't off-topic.

Thanks BK Very Happy
chershaytoute

Location: Oregon with an ocean view...across the neighbors' cow pasture, wow!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(yeah, thanks, BK!) Embarassed

WWggD - let's make the Breeniverse a better place to live...

Thanks to giddeanx for the coolest personal glue stick ever!
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:

It's not that they are more important. It's that they are a different genre of fan fac that generate a different lkind of fan interaction than your basic videos. I'm not sure when you joined, Libra, but there is a long history with the multitude of Cassies that goes way back to the early days of LG15 with Cassie is Watching. Cassie continues to inspire a plethora of fan interaction, and for many of us it's lots of fun to follow. Many people also, are just plain sick of Cassie and wish she would disappear forever. But I doubt she will. Plain and simple, it's just easier to keep track of the Cassies, and to understand the history of Cassie regarding LG15, when all the Cassie vids are grouped together.

As far as HSAO goes, It's an ARG. There are puzzles to be solved there, and a complex and confusing story line that must be put together. HSAO is the farthest thing from an elitist community you could ever get. They are wonderful people. Again, it's not about them being "better" than anyone else, it's about keeping their threads together so the story can be followed coherently.

I joined the forums in February, but I've been following everything since September. So I've seen the multitudes of Cassies come and go. I just feel like all the Cassies and the HSAO storyline has died down a lot and so I couldn't understand why people want them to continue to have seperate forums.

I think it's too bad that this forum doesn't support Subforums. That would be the best solution, imo.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:

I joined the forums in February, but I've been following everything since September. So I've seen the multitudes of Cassies come and go. I just feel like all the Cassies and the HSAO storyline has died down a lot and so I couldn't understand why people want them to continue to have seperate forums.

HSAO and Cassie go up and down in the interest levels. There are lulls, then there are flurry's of activity. It's just the nature of the ARGish sort of thing. If sections get dissolved just because an ARG is on hiatus, that isn't very functional.

Libra wrote:

I think it's too bad that this forum doesn't support Subforums. That would be the best solution, imo.

I totally agree with this. I think sub-forums would be incredibly helpful!
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new design.
The In Development section is a great way to get help and advice. In this way maybe more people will start making video's, and people will get better at making them... and yeah, the fan-vids would get better.

I like the loss of the 'cassie' and 'hsa' because now other fans may feel that their videos are just as important. (wich they are Wink)
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sami wrote:

I like the loss of the 'cassie' and 'hsa' because now other fans may feel that their videos are just as important. (wich they are Wink)

I don't understand the feelings that other videos aren't as "important" because they don't have their own sections. I am a video producer myself, and I plan to continue producing many more. I am totally involved in the video section, and always have been. I have never felt the need for a unique section for my videos, and I don't ever think I will.

This doesn't mean my videos are less important than the ones that have their own sections. My videos don't involve a developing storyline, where people need to be familiar with the back story in order to fully understand and appreciate the current episode. If my videos were of this nature, I probably would want my own section, but they aren't.

Several of the videos and ARGs I enjoy following do have involved storylines, however, and as a viewer and game participant, I would like to have those videos/ARG threads consolidated, because it makes my ability to follow the stories much more enjoyable. And, because I help administrate sometimes on the ARGs, particularly Facility J, but others as well, it makes keeping the admin tasks up to speed much, much easier.
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous
I just don't know why Cassie and HSA need own forum sections. When other fan-fics don't
colbertnationgirl
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Sami is trying to say, is that when certain stories (CiW, HSAO, etc.) have their own forums it makes new people hesitant to make videos, because they feel they have to live up to that. I experienced the same thing. Once I started making videos, I no longer felt the intimidation. Broken Kid said the changes were to encourage more people to participate in Fan-fiction, and I think they have accomplished that purpose. I'm sorry you don't like the changes, but I don't understand why not.
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbertnationgirl
That was what I was trying to say.. thanks Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: