Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maddy Atkins - "Drop Found!" [4/16/07]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Maddison Atkins: Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
When one thing like this happens you can let it go but when they continue to mount it gets harder. Yeah, you can make justifications all you want and sure lg15 isn't perfect but that doesn't mean you shouldn't make sure all your I's are dotted and your T's are crossed where your story is concerned. I'm not a gameplayer, I'm not someone who would stick around just for puzzles or drops. Based on what I've seen from my involvement so far I think I could really get into an ARG if it were a complete experience.

Thanks for your reasoned and detailed response.

I agree with you about the game aspect. So far I'm very impressed, not only with the puzzles, but most importantly with the character's dedication in her communications. Oh and not sure if you missed it, but she did post here, quite a few times. In fact, she posted again about an hour ago.
http://lonelygirl15.com/forum/search.php?search_author=maddison

Abut the "mounting issues," you mentioned three:

1. The pigeon thing. The fact that you're from NYC and never felt compelled to pick up a pigeon doesn't mean a character from East TX that looks and talks like Adam wouldn't. I can perfetly see him picking up pigeons, skunks, or various other vermins or roadkill and excited about taking footage of it. Yes, you can't just send a pigeon to any address without homing it there first, and explaining away this detail implies that the sender has been very close to Maddy for a while without her noticing, but I consider that a minor innacuracy at worst.

Second, why Maddy? Of course that's a big part of the plot! I assure you there's a reason behind that question, just don't expect to be given an answer this early in the game. I take it as part of the mystery we're trying to help Maddy figure out. Obviously Mr. Zipp chose her for a reason, but he or she can't disclose that yet for his or Maddy's safety. How many why's have been mounting in LG, starting with "why Bree?" and now ending with "why not Bree anymore?" I'm sure you've requested answers, but part of the reason you're still watching is the fact that some of these remain unanswered, and hope to see them resolved somewhat satisfactorily.

Finally, I don't think pointing out an obvious edit is justifying a plot hole. There is no plot hole there, period. If you blinked and missed the edit, you can't blame the content creator, especially within an ARG where you're expected, no, required to watch and rewatch and comb every frame for clues.

I agree with everyone saying the acting is really lacking. I won't justify it. But I'm willing to dismiss it as acceptable. This is a fanfic ARG and the whole budget involved might not exceed a couple hundred bucks, and that better be destined to creating a good gaming experience. One talented PM can take care of good writing and good puzzles and good character interaction and good editing without spending one cent, but finding good actors to volunteer free work isn't easy.

Glad to have you ARGing with us, this is just my second ARG after OpAphid by the way, and I hope this time we'll get to experience its full resolution, as well as, like you said, a complete experience in the process.

Last edited by deagol on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
marlasinger
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol, you are always a joy to read, you know that?

I'll agree with everything you said. And to elaborate on a few things for myself:

The acting. If Adam and Maddy are the creators of the ARG, then I'm willing to give them total flexibility in how good their acting is. I'm no actor, but I can give feedback as to what bugs me about the acting - jumping lines, for example, that is, saying them too quickly, will often give the impression of scripted and memorized work. Take your time. Give yourself a chance to react. Who am I talking to? I'll stop.

Anyway, aside from the acting - the ARG itself is well thought out so far, and although I lurk(ed) like mad in the OpAphid and Facility J ARGs, this is the first I've decided to partake in. It's all about the puzzles and less about the acting in the videos for me. And if M and A turn out to be canon? I'm sure they'll just get better and better at the latter. IMO, they're lacking DIRECTION more than acting skills. I bet they'd be good if they had someone giving them immediate feedback on the spot. Smile

Regarding plotholes being explained by tape edits, I think that's perfectly logical. That's just my opinion. No plot hole, just an edit. Good enough for me.

I say keep it up. And as for everyone involved, good job thus far. You know, we're the ones that make an ARG - we're the players, we're the motivation, and we're the key ingredient. Of course, they've gotta be on their toes as well. Otherwise they'll get eaten alive. You guys are like pirahna at fresh meat, I swear to God. It's awesome to see you jump on a new puzzle/drop/video.

That in itself is an experience, and is why I've been able to lurk so long. Of course, now it's all over - how could I not participate? It's like crack, damnit. One taste is all it takes...

edit: also, regarding the pigeon - in Montreal, and in the big city, I never picked up pigeons. But at home in the small town I grew up in, I even went as far as to pick up a pigeon that was in front of my house (because it was rare to see them outside of downtown where food is) and discover that it was in fact wounded - then care for it and take it to the vet. I even protected it from my cats, who wanted at it. If its in a strange place, like it was at maddy's place, and I have a camera, I'm going to do something silly like Adam did. Silly as in "woooooo pigeeeooooon this will make a great stupid youtube viiiid" then put it to the tune of "eye of the tiger" or something and upload it. You know?

The Bree Solution.
http://one.revver.com/watch/330795

"Also... im in ur canons... supporting all ur marlas."
-AutoPilate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
charliebrown
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what did Maddison mean with the chat forum war thing?
Misty
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Maddy Atkins - "Drop Found!" [4/16/07] Reply with quote

kellylen wrote:
http://one.revver.com/watch/236080/flv/affiliate/80876

tada Smile

why are you posting an affiliate link: are you trying to make money off of it?
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Maddy Atkins - "Drop Found!" [4/16/07] Reply with quote

Misty wrote:
kellylen wrote:

tada Smile

that is just the way the links work Misty

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Maddy Atkins - "Drop Found!" [4/16/07] Reply with quote

Killthesmiley wrote:
Misty wrote:
kellylen wrote:

tada Smile

that is just the way the links work Misty

i dont make money.

im confused D:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Maddison Atkins: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: