Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Over-editting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Over-editting Reply with quote

I think the creators should pick a side, either make it into a show (someone holding a camera where she can move around freely and do her monologue and edit it to your heart's desire) or if you want to keep it simple (a webcam and a girl) let it be as realistic as possible.

In "Difficult Decision" she's crying and is emotionally devestated by the loss of her only friend. If you were that upset, would you take the time to carefully make sure each word is enunciated correctly and if the shot is framed right?

Besides the idea of any editing being unrealistic, it's just not edited well. Especially Daniel's last video ("How Could She?"), it was so garbled and incoherent with several edits in the same sentence, it added no style (if that's what you were going for), it was just distracting.

Just use the best take and and make it a one shot video. It'll have it's imperfections but it'll be more realistic. The more realistic it is, the easier it is to suspend disbelief and get into the story.

Just my little suggestion.
BlackRiven
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an issue you're not taking into consideration here, and that's the effect of presentation. No matter what you do, even if you want to do something that's bad on porpuse, you still need to do it right.
LonelyGirl15's theme is based around a form of presentation that is intended to be simplistic, but as a show it's counter productive to allow it to be sloppy or overly simple because 'that's how it is in real life'. It makes your show look bad and then it won't be taken seriously and may even ruin the moment.

If we use your suggestion regarding Bree's video, getting her out of frame even partially will make it less direct, and will lessen the emotional impact, which is not something the producers want (also you're wrong in the other part of your comment, even when people are upset, they'll still make sure they're in the frame. If you want to share something with people, you'll make sure you're well precieved. If you're so broken you wouldn't even care if you're in front of the camera, chances are you won't be filming it to begin with)..

As for the editing in Daniel's video, that's a very 'background editing', when you're engrossed in the words you won't notice it, you'll only get the overall picture that there're 'jumps' in the movie, which is supposed to feel home made. Unfortunately people are too attuned to it by now, so I agree with you on this point. It should be used, but in places that make more sense (not in the middle of a sentance).
Icaterus
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Over-editting Reply with quote

I personally love the editing how it is. They've found a way to have it somewhere between an amateur video blogger and the better skills of pro editing. They do a good job in keeping the story moving along without boring gaps of silence or no action.

123456789 wrote:
Just use the best take and and make it a one shot video. It'll have it's imperfections but it'll be more realistic. The more realistic it is, the easier it is to suspend disbelief and get into the story.

I disagree with making it one shot and realistic looking. I've seen a few festival short films and things like this... it's really bad and actually ruins your immersion into the film because the filming technique is so obvious.

Thanks for watching as I fall.
S is for Summer
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordinarily would try not to post something that's just one more person saying "me too," but this seems like the kind of thing that the creators might look at to see what the audience thinks, so....

Ditto to everything Icaterus said.
negadeth
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever is filming this or editing lonelygirl15 sucks at it. Serously go to film school and learn how to se a camera and learn how to use Final Cut Pro.
curriguy
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By conventional standards, the way these blogs are editted may seem a bit strange. but this isn't a conventional story...it's being told in a new way, uncharted territory really. I don't think film school teaches how to make faux-video-blogs.

for what they are trying to accomplish, the editting works well.
and the fact that it has attracted so many viewers proves this.

if it were editted so poorly as to take away from the story, no one would watch.
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negadeth wrote:
Whoever is filming this or editing lonelygirl15 sucks at it. Serously go to film school and learn how to se a camera and learn how to use Final Cut Pro.

Um...they ARE in film school. Seems you have missed out on what all these videos are about, eh?
BlackRiven
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negadeth wrote:
Serously go to film school and learn how to se a camera

Actually they don't need to go to film school for that. The ability to see an object is something we all possess, so in order to see a camera one simply needs to move his eyes (and possibly head) so that the camera in question would be in his line of sight.
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackRiven wrote:
negadeth wrote:
Serously go to film school and learn how to se a camera

Actually they don't need to go to film school for that. The ability to see an object is something we all possess, so in order to see a camera one simply needs to move his eyes (and possibly head) so that the camera in question would be in his line of sight.

Negadeath didn't say anything about seeing a camera. He/she (Who am I kidding, someone named "Negadeath" is not a she) was SPECIFICALLY talking about seing a camera. Two completely different things.

-.-. ..-. ..- -.- / ..- -.-- ---
tech4u2hire
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: se is use without the u Reply with quote

A slight typo that has caused all sorts of issue.
<see subject>

SE = USE - U ??? QED
AutoPilate
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I bet if we were still back in September we'd actually care.
MrsCop
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoPilate wrote:

And then it wouldn't matter to me, I'd still watch. Your ava is just YUMMY, AP Very Happy

~tigerlilylynn
AutoPilate
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsCop wrote:
AutoPilate wrote:

And then it wouldn't matter to me, I'd still watch. Your ava is just YUMMY, AP Very Happy

Why thank you, old bean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: