Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Discussion] Nikki B. canon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> In-Depth Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having the actress who plays Lucy in her vid. Calling Nikki B. fanfic seems so wrong
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sami wrote:
After having the actress who plays Lucy in her vid. Calling Nikki B. fanfic seems so wrong

Not to mention after Bree mentioned her in a video too.
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I always enjoy the chance to suggest something contrary to Lurker! It simply means that we will have another debate where I will be correct, and Lurker will be wrong.

Other forum users have been mentioned in canon vids:

Mintgurl
Acidfingers
surrealisticpill
Opladybug
Jo_16_2
Killthesmiley
islandlove

All these forum participants were mentioned in the video, Cracked The File.

Are they canon, too?
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The context is obviously completely different, and context is where all things are really defined.

In any case, we all have "in-character personas" in the fictional universe (a post from me was also shown in that video you're talking about). We're supposed to pretend this is happening in our world, after all.
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
The context is obviously completely different, and context is where all things are really defined.

In any case, we all have "in-character personas" in the fictional universe (a post from me was also shown in that video you're talking about). We're supposed to pretend this is happening in our world, after all.

You're canon. I'll never debate you again.
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:
You're canon. I'll never debate you again.

That was actually quite witty.
colbertnationgirl
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from Newcomer section.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've posted this all over the place, but not everyone sees it. Smile

According to the Creators, Nikki B. is not canon. She is fan fiction. Consider it "fan fiction with connections", in that she clearly knows people. And she is sometimes used to give us little tidbits of information. But if it's information that is necessary to know for the storyline, it will be given in a regular LG15 video (like when Bree mentioned Jules after Nikki introduced her). So Nikki is not required viewing.
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, BK, I've never found that explanation adequate. Perhaps it is for newcomers (it establishes what's required viewing and what's not), but it doesn't really answer the question (and none of us are newcomers; we're asking a very different question).

I hate to always be the one to harp on this, but something either is canon or it isn't. It has to be. That's really how the concept works, you know? There's not room for a grey area. The statements "She is fanfiction" and "... if it's information that is necessary to know for the storyline, it will be given in a regular LG15 video (like when Bree mentioned Jules after Nikki introduced her)" are incompatible.

I know the Creators have said she's not canon, but perhaps the correct word there would be "official," just as OpAPHID is no longer official? However, were one to say that OpAPHID is not canon at this point, it would just be ... well, that doesn't work.

Her videos maybe don't appear on the site here, but then again, neither did OpAPHID's, and that was indisputably canon (and remains such - at least with what's already happened - if there's to be any structural integrity to the fictional universe).

Last edited by Lurker on Fri May 04, 2007 11:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
To be honest, BK, I've never found that explanation adequate. Perhaps it is for newcomers (it establishes what's required viewing and what's not), but it doesn't really answer the question (and none of us are newcomers; we're obviously asking a very different question). Something either is canon or it isn't. That's really how the concept works, you know?

I know the Creators have said she's not, but then again, supposedly OpAPHID isn't, and that's just ... well, that doesn't work.

Her videos maybe don't appear on the site here, but then again, neither did OpAPHID's, and that was indisputably canon (and remains such, if there's to be any structural integrity to the fictional universe).

Her vids dont appear here? I'm pretty sure I've seen a bunch of her videos in the fan fiction section.

I think the way the creators use the term "canon" is to mean that character is a very important part of the plot and to ignore them would mean that you wouldn't understand what is going on with the story. Nikki isn't required to understand the plot, which is why she is still considered fan fic and not canon.

I dunno, it makes sense to me. Just trying to help out...
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:
Her vids dont appear here? I'm pretty sure I've seen a bunch of her videos in the fan fiction section.

I meant on the front page. Sorry for not being more clear. In the past, many fans have used a "When it appears on the front page, it's canon" system, but I don't think that system really works.

Libra wrote:
I think the way the creators use the term "canon" is to mean that character is a very important part of the plot and to ignore them would mean that you wouldn't understand what is going on with the story. Nikki isn't required to understand the plot, which is why she is still considered fan fic and not canon.

I dunno, it makes sense to me. Just trying to help out...

Maybe so. But then again, they called OpAPHID canon and not-required-viewing in the same post in the past.

Whatever their definition is, I think it would help out a lot if there were some clarification. It does seem like the same word is being used with a slightly different definition here than the way it normally is.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
To be honest, BK, I've never found that explanation adequate.

True... folks have different definitions of canon. Nikki is not an official part of the LG15 storyline. I guess that's the official ruling from the Creators.

Quote:
Her videos maybe don't appear on the site here, but then again, neither did OpAPHID's, and that was indisputably canon (and remains such, if there's to be any structural integrity to the fictional universe).

Actually, OpAphid's videos were put on the main page... at least the ones that impacted the LG15 storyline. Nikki's are not required viewing.
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
Lurker wrote:
To be honest, BK, I've never found that explanation adequate.

True... folks have different definitions of canon. Nikki is not an official part of the LG15 storyline. I guess that's the official ruling from the Creators.

I guess my issue here is that it seems like they said one thing while the reality they've created (fictional reality, yes) is saying another.

Broken Kid wrote:
Quote:

Actually, OpAphid's videos were put on the main page... at least the ones that impacted the LG15 storyline. Nikki's are not required viewing.

I think "Miss Me?" was the only one that ever made it onto the front page. It was, indeed, the only one that had what one would call a major impact, though it was arguably a Daniel video since it was uploaded to his account on YouTube (this was when YT was still considered in-universe).

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass here or give you a hard time, BK. Sorry if it seems that way. I just think the explanation surrounding the word - as it's being used right now - is terribly inadequate, and contradicts the very meaning of the term as it's used in reference to fictional universes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the explanation given actually ends up being more confusing to newcomers in the long run, at least if they become hardcore fans (I don't have any data to back this up, no; it just seems like the logical outcome to me). To casual viewers who just sign up here on a whim and don't sign in more than two or three times more, it probably never makes a difference, though.

I guess I'd just like to know how the Creators use the term. Perhaps I'll ask them the next time Mixed Media comes on.

Last edited by Lurker on Fri May 04, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker, the OpAphid videos were all uploaded to the LG15 account on Revver and were part of the "main page" videos if you clicked down on that long list to the left. I don't know if they are there anymore after the falling out or whatever, but they were "main page" videos.

That would be a really good question to ask them. I wonder when they'll do the radio show again? :\
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:
Lurker, the OpAphid videos were all uploaded to the LG15 account on Revver and were part of the "main page" videos if you clicked down on that long list to the left. I don't know if they are there anymore after the falling out or whatever, but they were "main page" videos.

I think you're right. I seem to remember people reporting that they received like a dozen e-mail notifications of new videos that day. They're still on the Revver account, but not on the main page.

In any case, that was more than a couple of months after OpAPHID was first announced as the official ARG, so I still think the "When it's main page, it's canon" system has some bugs.

Libra wrote:
That would be a really good question to ask them. I wonder when they'll do the radio show again? :\

Thanks. I'll be sure to ask them.

When the next radio show will be is an awesome question. I don't think there's been more than four broadcasts since it started. There definitely hasn't been a show for the last three weeks, and I don't think there's supposed to be another one for at least three more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> In-Depth Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: