Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Epogen - Found by Daniel in the warehouse
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Epogen - Found by Daniel in the warehouse Reply with quote

GENERIC NAME: epoetin alfa
BRAND NAME: Epogen, Procrit
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Epoetin alfa is a man-made, injectable drug for treating anemia. Erythropoietin is a protein that normally is made in the body by the kidney. It causes the bone marrow to produce oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Under normal conditions, when the body senses a decrease in red blood cells or a deficiency in the supply of oxygen, more erythropoietin is produced, and this increases the number of red blood cells. When this natural mechanism is not working, it may become necessary to stimulate the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. The erythropoietin that is used for therapy, called epoetin alfa, is man-made. It is a product of the genetic engineering of ovarian cells of the Chinese hamster and is produced through recombinant DNA technology in bacteria. It does not cure the underlying cause of the anemia, and unless the underlying cause can be reversed, treatment with epoetin alfa must be continued indefinitely. Epoetin alfa belongs to a class of drugs called colony-stimulating factors because of their ability to stimulate cells in the bone marrow to multiply and form colonies of identical cells. Other colony-stimulating factors include filigrastim (Neupogen) and sargramostim (Leukine). Epogen and Procrit are both epoetin alfa, but they are marketed by two different pharmaceutical companies.

GENERIC AVAILABLE: No

PRESCRIPTION: Yes

PREPARATIONS: Epoetin alfa is available as a liquid for injection in vials containing from 2,000 to 40,000 units of epoetin alfa.

STORAGE: Epoetin alfa should be stored at 2-8°C (36-46°F). It should not be frozen. Multiple-use vials should be used within 21 days of the first use.

PRESCRIBED FOR: Epoetin alfa is used to treat anemia that is associated with chronic kidney failure in patients who are or will be receiving renal dialysis. It also is used to treat anemia in patients with HIV infection who are receiving zidovudine and in patients with cancer who are receiving chemotherapy. Epoetin alfa may be used to replace transfusions of red blood cells in patients who are anemic and undergoing surgery.

DOSING: Epoetin alfa is administered intravenously or subcutaneously (under the skin) at 50-300 units per kilogram of weight, three times weekly. The dose is tailored to each patient based on targeted hemoglobin levels. Adult patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy may be treated with 40,000 to 60,000 units subcutaneously weekly. Epoetin alfa vials should not be shaken since the drug may be damaged, and bubbles may form that prevent some of the drug from being drawn up into the syringe during injection. Iron stores should be evaluated before therapy and supplemental iron should be administered if needed.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: No clinical studies have been done to demonstrate epoetin alfa drug interactions.

PREGNANCY: There are no studies of epoetin alfa use in pregnant women .

NURSING MOTHERS: It is not known if epoetin alfa is excreted into breast milk.

SIDE EFFECTS: Epoetin alfa is well-tolerated. The most common side effects in patients with kidney failure on dialysis are high blood pressure, headache, joint-pain and clotting at the injection site. Rare cases of stinging at the injection site, skin rash and flu-like symptoms (joint and muscle pain) have occurred within a few hours following administration. Allergic reactions, seizures and thrombotic events (e.g., heart attacks, strokes, and pulmonary embolism ) rarely occur.

In HIV-infected patients receiving zidovudine, the most common side effects with epoetin alfa are fever, headache, rash, and nasal or chest congestion. Rare cases of seizures or severe rash have occurred in these patients.

The most common side effects in patients undergoing surgery with anemia are fever, nausea, constipation, skin reactions, vomiting and headaches. Blood clots in veins, referred to as a deep venous thrombosis, also may occur.

Among patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy, the most common side effects of epoetin alfa are fever, diarrhea, tissue swelling, shortness of breath, paresthesia (abnormal sensations like burning or prickling that may occur anywhere in the body), and upper respiratory infection.
Sister
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Bree was put on a strict non-meat diet for cleansing in prep. for the ceremony. They were probably making sure she wasn't affected by it. That type of medication may also be used to cleanse the blood if there is any blood involved in the ceremony. Crowley was known to use blood in his rituals.
Ruberic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff does not "cleanse" the blood, it forces the body to produce more eurythrocytes in response to the increased levels of erythropoietin.

usually used for preparation for surgery in which impressive hemorrahging is possible, cancer therapies, or oxygen deficit due to low eurythrocytes.

Yup, Bree was getting prepped for some blood spillage.
Sister
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruberic wrote:
This stuff does not "cleanse" the blood, it forces the body to produce more eurythrocytes in response to the increased levels of erythropoietin.

usually used for preparation for surgery in which impressive hemorrahging is possible, cancer therapies, or oxygen deficit due to low eurythrocytes.

Hrm, I used "may". But yes, I agree.
HazelButtercup
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother invented Epogen!!!

It was originally developed to help people on kidney dialysis who were anemic. It has also been used as a doping agent for athletes especially those participating in endurance sports. Others have already described in detail what it does- increase red blood cell count.

I'm going to ask him why it would be given to a healthy young girl.
Luv2Skydive
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAMSTER!! That's another weird tag from an earlier vid! Shocked
ericski
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a person were being experimented upon by way of introducing an agent into the bloodstream, it might facilitate uptake of more of the agent by fresh blood cells and thereby increasing efficacy/potency.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruberic wrote:

it was definately in the cards...

so if Bree's father was a doctor...why didn't he know about this already. I though bree's dad was clueless to what these shots were.

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may not be a medical doctor...and even so, his area may not be where he would have need to use this drug

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
Bagged, tagged, sold to the butcher at the store.
Beckers
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killthesmiley wrote:
Ruberic wrote:

it was definately in the cards...

so if Bree's father was a doctor...why didn't he know about this already. I though bree's dad was clueless to what these shots were.

He probably did know about it. I can't see how he wouldn't know.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm
yea that is true...
still if he was any type of doctor professional, and he was recieving these boxes with the injections wouldn't you think he would read the pamphlet in the boxes or at least do research on it...like it doesn't make any sense...

BTW I love the new Avatar.

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nobackspacebutton
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she was anemic, this would make sense for her dad giving her iron pills.

BA Tells Lies.

Some things are secret for a reason.
There are people whose lives are dedicated to keeping them that way.
Ruberic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe that Bree's father knew EXACTLY what she was taking.

Take it from me, when you work in the medical field...you keep track of any drug you take. It is in your nature. You don't just off the cuff give your child something without fully knowing its effect. (Sad, I know).

This brings me back to another idea. If her father did know, and continued to inject it...what does that say about him? Where his loyalties truly lay?

Remember, when the parents asked the deacons to forgo the ceremony, they came back morose. I believe that her parents were all for the ceremony at first, but then got cold feet.

I am betting that a lot of this is found in Bree's still secret letter.
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobackspacebutton wrote:
If she was anemic, this would make sense for her dad giving her iron pills.

That's what I thought, too.

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
Bagged, tagged, sold to the butcher at the store.
hagbard celine
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they are to "abstain from blood"; this belief results in the refusal to accept transfusions of blood or blood components.

The use of epogen to increase the number of red blood cells is one suggested alternative to a blood transfusion.

from wikipedia

now, i'm not suggesting bree has anything to do with Jehovah's Witnessess, but just thought that was interesting...a religious tie in to the drug...

Last edited by hagbard celine on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: