Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Epogen - Found by Daniel in the warehouse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousGeorge wrote:
HazelButtercup wrote:
My brother invented Epogen!!!

Hmmmm:

http://www.amgen.com/investors/AnnualReport2004/define_discovery.html

Hahaha.

I assume the brother referenced was a scientist who was involved in "the development of Epoetin alfa, which in 1989 would reach patients as EPOGENŽ." Not the discovery of the protein.
Slainte
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight wrote:
curiousGeorge wrote:
HazelButtercup wrote:

Hmmmm:

Hahaha.

I assume the brother referenced was a scientist who was involved in "the development of Epoetin alfa, which in 1989 would reach patients as EPOGENŽ." Not the discovery of the protein.

hey wait a minute...are you suggesting that people are not who/what they say th ey are around here?

thank you curious one, "sometimes I get so tired..."
childofmetis
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, that's what my dad said.

curiousGeorge wrote:
HazelButtercup wrote:

Hmmmm:

annie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight wrote:
curiousGeorge wrote:
HazelButtercup wrote:

Hmmmm:

Hahaha.

In "Skateboarding", toward the end, Bree mentioned that her father's reserach area was "ribozymes". These are different from, but related to proteins/ribosomes.

"Before the discovery of ribozymes, proteins were the only known biological catalysts."
and:
"A ribozyme (from ribonucleic acid enzyme, also called RNA enzyme or catalytic RNA) is an RNA molecule that catalyzes a chemical reaction."
[...]
RNA can also act as a hereditary molecule, which encouraged Walter Gilbert to propose that in the past, the cell used RNA as both the genetic material and the structural and catalytic molecule, rather than dividing these functions between DNA and protein as they are today. This hypothesis became known as the "RNA world hypothesis" of the origin of life.

If ribozymes were the first molecular machines used by early life, then today's remaining ribozymes -- such as the ribosome machinery -- could be considered living fossils of a life based primarily on nucleic acids.

A recent test-tube study of prion folding suggests that an RNA may catalyze the pathological protein conformation in the manner of a chaperone enzyme."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribozyme

Looks like Bree's father's research may have included using his own daughter as a sort of guinea pig... Maybe.

(sorry if this idea has been posted elsewhere -- I haven't had a chance to catch up, yet!)
HazelButtercup
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight wrote:
curiousGeorge wrote:
HazelButtercup wrote:

Hmmmm:

Hahaha.

I used the word "invented" because it was quick and easy way to communicate something I was excited about. No reason to lie about something like this. My brother also "invented" (was the main scientist who developed) Aranesp- another drug for the treatment of anemia. I'm obviously not as smart as he is!
Taig
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously you are not Hazel...your other posts are valued and so far well thought out. However, I think yuor claim to a relationship with the drugs inventor deserves a retraction.

just my 2
kristenjane
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taig wrote:
obviously you are not Hazel...your other posts are valued and so far well thought out. However, I think yuor claim to a relationship with the drugs inventor deserves a retraction.

just my 2

Wow, really not trying to follow your posts, I am just going through the forums form last night.
But who are you talking to? It was bugging me.
HazelButtercup
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taig wrote:

just my 2

No retraction- I know it sounds far fetched but it is true.
I'll send you a PM.
HazelButtercup
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristenjane wrote:
Taig wrote:

just my 2

Wow, really not trying to follow your posts, I am just going through the forums form last night.
But who are you talking to? It was bugging me.

He was talking to me.
My claim that I am related to (one of) the scientist (s) who invented Epogen is true- I guess it just sounded far-fetched the way I yelled it out. I will explain in a PM if anyone is interested.

I love the Lonelygirl15 story and was excited to have a connection. I hope the story brings up the Epogen reference again!
Taig
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazel:

My post was inappropriate and thoughtless, rash and inconsiderate.

I apologize for accusing you of making a false claim.
HazelButtercup
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taig wrote:
Hazel:

My post was inappropriate and thoughtless, rash and inconsiderate.

I apologize for accusing you of making a false claim.

Thank you- I didn't take it personally; I just wanted to clear my name.

I probably would have been skeptical if I had read it from someone else also. I'm glad I could prove it to you (in a PM).
tannhaus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelyelendi wrote:
My point was that she would need to be a virgin for many ancient rituals....hence the whole purity thing... and why she couldn't see daniel for a while....I was not off topic

Actually, in ancient times the term virgin often meant unmarried. It had nothing to do with sex. The temple virgins of many ancient cultures actually were temple prostitutes. http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/james_still/virgin_birth.html
MaizieSal
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: hmmn Reply with quote

I decided to reasearch Hamsters a bit and I found this (Wikipedia):

Quote:
In 1839 British zoologist George Robert Waterhouse reportedly found an elderly female hamster in Syria, naming it Cricetus auratus, the Golden Hamster.

Quote:
In 1930, Israel Aharoni, a zoologist and professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, captured a mother hamster and her litter of babies in the Syrian desert.

Quote:
Aharoni introduced Syrian Hamsters to Bakmah Laboratory in The Hague. Here, the Russian scientists studying the rodents discovered that the Syrian hamster's epidermis contained strong neurotoxins. Though very little could be obtained from a single hamster, toxins from 15-20 hamsters were harnessed for use in the VX PG mark 11 rocket (U.S patent 59k334-89p0). This was used by a small group of disgruntled U.S marines on the city of San Francisco in the autumn of 1994 when they held 57 civilians hostage on Alcatraz for 3 days. From the 1950's onwards Radoslav Balaksa

Coincidence?
GoodGollyItsHolly
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidence? I think so...
emerrs11
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Epogen - Found by Daniel in the warehouse Reply with quote

trainer101 wrote:
GENERIC NAME: epoetin alfa
BRAND NAME: Epogen, Procrit
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Epoetin alfa is a man-made, injectable drug for treating anemia. Erythropoietin is a protein that normally is made in the body by the kidney. It causes the bone marrow to produce oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Under normal conditions, when the body senses a decrease in red blood cells or a deficiency in the supply of oxygen, more erythropoietin is produced, and this increases the number of red blood cells. When this natural mechanism is not working, it may become necessary to stimulate the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. The erythropoietin that is used for therapy, called epoetin alfa, is man-made. It is a product of the genetic engineering of ovarian cells of the Chinese hamster and is produced through recombinant DNA technology in bacteria. It does not cure the underlying cause of the anemia, and unless the underlying cause can be reversed, treatment with epoetin alfa must be continued indefinitely. Epoetin alfa belongs to a class of drugs called colony-stimulating factors because of their ability to stimulate cells in the bone marrow to multiply and form colonies of identical cells. Other colony-stimulating factors include filigrastim (Neupogen) and sargramostim (Leukine). Epogen and Procrit are both epoetin alfa, but they are marketed by two different pharmaceutical companies.

GENERIC AVAILABLE: No

PRESCRIPTION: Yes

PREPARATIONS: Epoetin alfa is available as a liquid for injection in vials containing from 2,000 to 40,000 units of epoetin alfa.

STORAGE: Epoetin alfa should be stored at 2-8°C (36-46°F). It should not be frozen. Multiple-use vials should be used within 21 days of the first use.

PRESCRIBED FOR: Epoetin alfa is used to treat anemia that is associated with chronic kidney failure in patients who are or will be receiving renal dialysis. It also is used to treat anemia in patients with HIV infection who are receiving zidovudine and in patients with cancer who are receiving chemotherapy. Epoetin alfa may be used to replace transfusions of red blood cells in patients who are anemic and undergoing surgery.

DOSING: Epoetin alfa is administered intravenously or subcutaneously (under the skin) at 50-300 units per kilogram of weight, three times weekly. The dose is tailored to each patient based on targeted hemoglobin levels. Adult patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy may be treated with 40,000 to 60,000 units subcutaneously weekly. Epoetin alfa vials should not be shaken since the drug may be damaged, and bubbles may form that prevent some of the drug from being drawn up into the syringe during injection. Iron stores should be evaluated before therapy and supplemental iron should be administered if needed.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: No clinical studies have been done to demonstrate epoetin alfa drug interactions.

PREGNANCY: There are no studies of epoetin alfa use in pregnant women .

NURSING MOTHERS: It is not known if epoetin alfa is excreted into breast milk.

SIDE EFFECTS: Epoetin alfa is well-tolerated. The most common side effects in patients with kidney failure on dialysis are high blood pressure, headache, joint-pain and clotting at the injection site. Rare cases of stinging at the injection site, skin rash and flu-like symptoms (joint and muscle pain) have occurred within a few hours following administration. Allergic reactions, seizures and thrombotic events (e.g., heart attacks, strokes, and pulmonary embolism ) rarely occur.

In HIV-infected patients receiving zidovudine, the most common side effects with epoetin alfa are fever, headache, rash, and nasal or chest congestion. Rare cases of seizures or severe rash have occurred in these patients.

The most common side effects in patients undergoing surgery with anemia are fever, nausea, constipation, skin reactions, vomiting and headaches. Blood clots in veins, referred to as a deep venous thrombosis, also may occur.

Among patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy, the most common side effects of epoetin alfa are fever, diarrhea, tissue swelling, shortness of breath, paresthesia (abnormal sensations like burning or prickling that may occur anywhere in the body), and upper respiratory infection.

With my homework I could have never reasearched any of this stuff. I thank you trainer. If is much easier to understand what everyone is saying. Now just to read this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: