Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Facility J [Drop Contents] - "Dei Sub Numine Viget"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a bunch of stuff and I'm still completely stumped. Hopefully, I can find a way to get back onto IRC, so we can all toss around some ideas.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:
I tried a bunch of stuff and I'm still completely stumped. Hopefully, I can find a way to get back onto IRC, so we can all toss around some ideas.

So you are at work right now, and can't get on IRC? What do you have access to?
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my dorm at college. It appears as if I cannot access IRC, and my hunch is that the university internet is filtering IRC access as part of its attempts to prevent file sharing. I'm going to see if I can confirm/deny this, but I couldn't connect to any IRC servers, either via mIRC or a java applet.

When I was on the chat a few days ago, I was home on break, and not using university internet.

AIM works fine, as would other chat clients, I imagine.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:
I'm in my dorm at college. It appears as if I cannot access IRC, and my hunch is that the university internet is filtering IRC access as part of its attempts to prevent file sharing. I'm going to see if I can confirm/deny this, but I couldn't connect to any IRC servers, either via mIRC or a java applet.

When I was on the chat a few days ago, I was home on break, and not using university internet.

AIM works fine, as would other chat clients, I imagine.

I'm going to install AIM. Give me a few. I put the word out in the IRC, SK and McP are the only people in there right now besides me.
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have AIM, MSN, and Yahoo, so I'm down for whatever.

It still sucks that you can't use IRC it's so much easier and friendly lol. Silly college.
McPackage
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://toad-one.org/tools/irc/
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm set up on AIM now, and have added it to my profile. TOSG, can you set up a room?
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McPackage wrote:
Try http://toad-one.org/tools/irc/

Thanks! This worked for me.
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:
ignatzmouse wrote:

The offsets now make sense as alphabetic ones, although only if the last letter to be shifted is A or B. I'm still a bit suspicious that they're non-alphabetic, since they're all multiples of 8.

The offests have looped around the alphabet in the past.

Ah, pity that would have made for a nice integrity check that we got the right solution...
TOSG wrote:
I do agree with you about the multiples of eight. I wonder if we're supposed to extend the decoding sequence. Hmm...

EDIT: The fact that he added eight stones would seem to support this, wouldn't it?

And the big "eight" hint in his message. (Off-topic, him calling the proceedings of the 8th Conference the "8th edition" is a bit funny, not how I'm used to people referring to such things. Maybe this was common usage in Chemistry 50 years ago...)
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignatzmouse wrote:
TOSG wrote:
ignatzmouse wrote:

The offsets now make sense as alphabetic ones, although only if the last letter to be shifted is A or B. I'm still a bit suspicious that they're non-alphabetic, since they're all multiples of 8.

The offests have looped around the alphabet in the past.

Ah, pity that would have made for a nice integrity check that we got the right solution...
TOSG wrote:
I do agree with you about the multiples of eight. I wonder if we're supposed to extend the decoding sequence. Hmm...

EDIT: The fact that he added eight stones would seem to support this, wouldn't it?

And the big "eight" hint in his message. (Off-topic, him calling the proceedings of the 8th Conference the "8th edition" is a bit funny, not how I'm used to people referring to such things. Maybe this was common usage in Chemistry 50 years ago...)

he was referring to the book, not the conference. Which is an edition. I think lum asked if there was something in it or if we needed to get it.
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShardinsKitten wrote:
ignatzmouse wrote:

he was referring to the book, not the conference. Which is an edition. I think lum asked if there was something in it or if we needed to get it.

Continuing off-topic Smile the "8th" refers to the conference, not the book (which is just the proceedings of the conference, and only had one edition). Google found a list of all the ICCE conferences at http://www.19icce.org/19thICCE/HistoryICCE.html -- the book we're not looking for is the proceedings of the 8th ICCE.

The big hint is that we don't need the book, Walter was just using the card as scrap paper, with a big hint about 8 and chemistry.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignatzmouse wrote:

Continuing off-topic Smile the "8th" refers to the conference, not the book (which is just the proceedings of the conference, and only had one edition). Google found a list of all the ICCE conferences at http://www.19icce.org/19thICCE/HistoryICCE.html -- the book we're not looking for is the proceedings of the 8th ICCE.

The big hint is that we don't need the book, Walter was just using the card as scrap paper, with a big hint about 8 and chemistry.

Hmmmm. Good catch about useage of the word edition. And interesting that he calls attention to it in his email. Don't know what it means though.

EDIT: Maybe he's pointing to the words "Widening the Scope of Chemistry" Which would be the main change between this and other "editions" other than the number?
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
ignatzmouse wrote:

Hmmmm. Good catch about useage of the word edition. And interesting that he calls attention to it in his email. Don't know what it means though.

EDIT: Maybe he's pointing to the words "Widening the Scope of Chemistry" Which would be the main change between this and other "editions" other than the number?

I think the use of the word "edition" was just a slip-up on his part. The subtitle "Widening the Scope of Chemistry" was the special topic for the 8th ICCE, and is indeed the difference between that ICCE and the other ICCEs. I suspect Walter was looking for an old index card with the number "8" on it, having something to do with chemistry, and this one caught his eye.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignatzmouse wrote:

I think the use of the word "edition" was just a slip-up on his part.

"8th Edition" was included in the original card description as SK first posted it. I see it's been removed now, and simply reads 8th.
lg15panda
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking about "8", what is up with the 8 stones? Do you guys think that the stones are a clue to the puzzle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: