Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ceremony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacksAndDouches
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: The Ceremony Reply with quote

OK well I was looking through my notes in this Egyptian class I took in college, and I came across something that might be a clue.

It is the Sed Festival, it happens every 30 years. This would fit in with Bree's comment that the ceremony doesn't happen too often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sed_festival

Whatdya think?
quikstrike98
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the ancient Egyptians practice human sacrifice? I know by the time of the Ptolemies they certainly weren't (they were Roman vassals and the Romans made some very graphic examples of what they thought of religions which practice human sacrifice, see Carthage and the Druids), but the Ptolemies were a strongly Hellenizing influence. If Bree's religion is a form of Egyptian worship, is there anything in there which involved sacrificing virgins, etc?
JacksAndDouches
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um no, I think you are being a bit presumptious. Regardless we wil know in t minus 2 days
sanilynx
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the ceremony happens at night? We might have to wait a whole extra day!!! With the popularity of LG15 I'm betting the site will crash on the day due to excessive use.

Something to panic over Confused
Flents
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Bree's part in the ritual is supposed to be a huge honor, it's possible that she is going to reprsent the goddess in physical form.

Copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris

In the Osirian temple at Denderah, an inscription (translated by Budge, Chapter XV, Osiris and the Egyptian Resurrection) describes in detail the making of wheat paste models of each dismembered piece of Osiris to be sent out to the town where each piece was discovered by Isis. At the temple of Mendes, figures of Osiris are made from wheat and paste placed in a trough on the day of the murder (Osiris killed by his brother), then water added for several days, when finally the mixture was kneaded into a mold of Osiris and taken to the temple and buried (the sacred grain for these cakes only grown in the temple fields). Molds are made from wood of a red tree in the forms of the sixteen dismembered parts of Osiris, cakes of divine bread made from each mold, placed in a silver chest and set near the head of the god, the inward parts of Osiris as described in the Book of the Dead (XVII). On the first day of the Festival of Ploughing, where the goddess Isis appears in her shrine where she is stripped naked, Paste made from the grain is placed in her bed and moistened with water, representing the fecund earth. All of these sacred rituals were climaxed by the eating of sacramental god, the eucharist by which the celebrants were transformed, in their persuasion, into replicas of their god-man (Larson 20).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: