User talk:JayHenry/2006 archive
- 1 Headline text
- 2 Hey Jay...
- 3 LGPedia Admin
- 4 Congratulations
- 5 template
- 6 The Story So Far...
- 7 Real vs Unofficial
- 8 Deletions
- 9 Cloudesley Shovell
- 10 spam vandalism on Phorum 3 page
- 11 Liza Weil page
- 12 PMs
- 13 Dr. deletion
- 14 Owensad template
- 15 Capitalization
- 16 video category templates?
- 17 Broken links
- 18 Welcome back to LGpedia
- 19 Breaking and Entering
- 20 Iris2009
This page is reserved for discussion about P.Diddy whose new album Press Play is coming to a record store near you on Oct. 17.
Hey Jay - I didn't mean to step on your toes or anything with making the formatting all the same. I didn't even realize anyone else was doing it until I tried to save a page and lgpedia "yelled" at me and said that someone else had beaten me to it! I guess we just started on opposite ends. Either way....I'm sorry (for stepping on your toes) or you're welcome (for helping you finish faster!). At least I had a somewhat decent excuse to skip homework for awhile... - Sunkist 14:34, 21 October 2006
We've never talked much over on CoAC, but just wanted to drop you a line on here - great work. - Dharmabum420 14:17, 1 October 2006 (PDT)
They made me admin on User:Terryfic's recommendation, as I've got a ton of wiki experience; there's three admins on the 'pedia but I'm the only one really active. - Dharmabum420 15:48, 1 October 2006 (PDT)
Thanks for your comments and suggestions......that should help a bit.........but sometimes its just a question of ideas flowing and addition research. As for the recent changes, i understand what you are saying.......i was beginning to get embarrased by the long list I was creating, but hey I think the addion of "locations" should prove to be very useful.
And thanks for changing pool to hole......I realized that was wrong after I created it, but i had not idea how to change a title other than to recreate the page under a different name. - modelmotion
How do you suggest we handle Gemmers19. There has been a lot of discussion about her and I have created a page for her.........but its not clear if she is or is not an official LG15 character. For now the page is just hanging in space.........any thoughts??? - modelmotion
Hi again. Someone copied the links from the Denerah page to the video page a while back. Last night I moved the Hathor links from the Denerah page to the Hathor page last night. Since you have put the same links back on the Denerah page would you mind if i just delete those links. I know you are concerned about the number of links and I am just trying to make sure they are on pages where they can best be useful to researchers............and hopefully soon contribute valuable information to the text of the page.- modelmotion
Jay - check out the page for the most recent video. I put a note on there that it looks like it was created 1 minute before the actual video was released (if you assume LGpedia uses GMT). Also the addition never showed up in Rencent Changes. The IP address tracks back to a religious college. Interesting. Well feel free to delete my note.......I just wanted to draw someones attention to it. - modelmotion
<<shows up in recent changes, video is released at different times on different platforms>> I guess it is possible that they saw it on Reever first.......but i have never seen details for a page added so quickly. Its looks to me like someone was using inside information!!! - modelmotion
- Hey MM, didn't see those edits were from you. The edits show up in the recent changes and the videos sometimes appear on Revver an hour or so before showing up on the lonelygirl15.com site. So I don't think it's that surprising. The fact that someone edited it quickly certainly isn't noteworthy information for the video's page.--JayHenry 13:46, 5 November 2006 (PST)
Dratz, you are right. Now I see them in recent changes. I thought I was onto something but I guess not. I think the post might have been written by Chris Mills, a jounalism student from Calvin College (IP address). He wrote an article on lonelygirl15 (http://www.calvin.edu/weblogs/journalism/lonelygirl15_really_isnt_that_lonely/) so it did not make any sense that he would have inside information. Thanks for setting me straight (again:)
- Hey jay, where r u when ur needed. All kinda crap doing down tonight. "They" are trying to stamp out the name Yousef form LGpedia. Anyway I just wanted to find out what you think of all of this. I have saved the original page in a couple of places so if you run across them its just to protect all the work that went into creating it. Just incase "They" attempt to delete it.
Jay, thanks for fixing the LGpedia up. I did not know what to do last night when the Allen Smithee thing went down, so i did what i could to use LGpedia to explain what was going on. However I did not know how to or if it would be appropriate to fix the redirecting problem. I figured that must have been done with official approval especially since it appeared to the the Guild that was doing it. Anyway, I tried and i dont want my attempts to be confused with vandalism. That was certainly not my intent.
The intent of the LG music page was to provide a page that could provide for discussion of the music used in relatinship to its relevance to the videos. The current page as is is formatted more like an index page than a discussion of the use of music in the the process of story telling. I notice that you deleted the LG music page and I can't do anything about that.......but perhaps there is something you can do to achieve the same intent: ie to promote disussion of the relevance of the music rather than just index it.--modelmotion 19:19, 12 November 2006 (PST)
Jay, would you be interested in being an admin for the LGPedia? Let me know. firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations you have been recognized as a LG15 pedia Hard Worker--LB15 16:07, 12 November 2006 (PST)
Sorry about that.--LB15 09:05, 13 November 2006 (PST)
I'm sorry but I'm not a vandal and I'm not trying to be I'm here just to help and to get this site bigger.--LB15 12:08, 14 November 2006 (PST)
The Story So Far...
New article sounds cool, I'll be excited to start working on it. Is there a page we should use?--JayHenry 20:34, 14 November 2006 (PST)
Real vs Unofficial
Hey Jay, i have been struggling a bit with the issue of "real" vs unofficial'. This is most obvious on the Watcher page. So far the wiki seems to have resolved it by creating a "Unofficial fan research" section. Thats one approach. However it raises the more general question of whether or not (and how) this issue should be addressed throughout the LGpedia. In the LG land where real, speculation and the make-believe are so tightly integrated its a little bit tricky to make these distinctions. Prior to the Watcher page most of the real video information was concentrated on the videos own page. I mean thats the place you could be 100 percent sure that the info was real. Even pages such as location pages which are for the most part verifiable are likely to contain speculative information. I guess what I am saying is that there needs to be some consistent approach to the real vs unofficial or else the pages need to be free to be a combination of both without distinguishing so absolutely between real and unofficial. Just a little food for thought. If you come up with some good direction on how to approach this either you or I can write up some general guidelines on the LGpedia page [i am not talking about any kind of formal rules here, just a friendly suggestion to nude LGpedians in the right direction}--modelmotion 10:45, 20 November 2006 (CST)
I totally disagree that this is unrelated. There has been a lot of discussion of Knights Templar and other related topics. I think this should have been left for a more extensive discussion of its relevance. I dont have the time to go around re-creating pages that I feel ARE relevant so I would at least like a chance to defend the reason for a pages existence.--modelmotion 13:51, 28 November 2006 (CST)
"Satan" (content was: 'According to Wikipedia, "religious belief systems other than Judaism relate this term to a demon, a rebellious fa...' (and the only contributor was 'Modelmotion') this is not a dictionary)
It takes time to develop these pages. Please let us debate these issues before deleting pages.--modelmotion 13:57, 28 November 2006 (CST)
Jay, some of the time I am trying to create an infrastruce of pages that can be build on. Yeas some can be redirected at the moment but some are there so that they can be build on over time. I guess we disagree on how to approach this issue.--modelmotion 14:11, 28 November 2006 (CST)
- I don't think we can trust any of the information we have been given in the videos......so we still know very little about the religion. I am not even totally convinced its not Thelema or a derivative of Thelema. There are simply to many unknowns to reach any definative conclusions at the moment. And remember that "deception" has been used since the origin of LG. Whey should we assume it has stopped now?--modelmotion 14:42, 28 November 2006 (CST)
Vicky Pollar: Ok now i see what you are up to and why. Its an ok approach but personally I preferred the hyperlinked page. Thats more a standard wiki format.--modelmotion 15:26, 28 November 2006 (CST)
There is no link to the wikipedia on the page you refer to. If you are going to delete pages can you please make sure you dont destroy valuable links in the process. its takes time to reseach these thing and the page was created long before the note. And the page was done right with the correct link.--modelmotion 14:53, 28 November 2006 (CST)
spam vandalism on Phorum 3 page
The Phorum 3 page has been subject to three spam vandalism attacks in two days, all by anonymous IP addresses. I'm not sure what's making this page so susceptible right now, but I was wondering if there might be a way to protect it. Since the Phorum 3 content is kind of an old story anyway, and shouldn't be getting a lot of edits, perhaps it could be temporarily locked for editing?
OwenIsCool 01:42, 1 December 2006 (CST)
Jay, i have never been clear on the correct way to respond when you comment on my user page. Am I supposed to respond on my user page or your one? I went ahead and posted my response to you deletion comments on my own page, but i would appreciate your guidance on the "standard protcol" for responding. I would also like to know how the deletion process works. Is it a vote of the admins or what?--modelmotion 12:52, 1 December 2006 (CST)
- You know, we haven't really established a process for handling deletion nominations that are contested, perhaps we should? --Brucker 13:17, 1 December 2006 (CST)
- What is the time frame for the discussion (a range will suffice). What i am thinking is that I could create a sub-section within the Bree's religion section that would be for fiction. However how to do that is a bit problematic since LG is in itself fiction. Its important to note that I ran into these topics researching LG, so they are not just random fictional pages. There are fictional stories that potentially have a lot to do with LG. I honestly dont want to piss him off, but on the other hand I dont want to just walk away from fictional stories that he does not like. If he has just let the process go back and forth in the discussion section I am pretty sure that we could have reached a compromised but instead he played the deletion card. That was his choice, not mine.--modelmotion 13:13, 1 December 2006 (CST)
I agree with you ModelMotion...--Iris2009
I'm sort of being villified here. I don't think it's very called for to be ganging up on me personally and making insinuations about me. If you look at this entry you will see where a user nominated a page for deletion. I saw that when modelmotion and I were contesting the entries in question. I looked at the template used here and saw that it was just flagging the pages for someone else to look at and opening discussion in the talk section on whether or not they should be deleted. So, I did it.
It was apparently useless to go round and round with the same person over this. The use of one noncredible source was the only thing linking this to the LG15 storyline at all and the original post was sort of tongue-in-cheek. So, I referred it to the community as a whole. Yet now, I'm being accused of everything under the sun and people are taking sides on whether I'm a hooligan or not instead of discussing the issues themselves.
If I was wrong in my approach, fine. I'm new to the whole wiki thing and even included the small history of contributions in my new profile when I created a log in. I was proud of the work I had done here and didn't want to lose the history. But, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I'm being called everything under the sun when all I did was use some template to open up wider debate. --Tannhaus 13:34, 1 December 2006 (CST)
- There was nothing wrong with your process, I think it was just the combined fact that all of the pages you marked happened to belong to modelmotion, and the wiki is relatively new and without a clear deletion policy that caused the friction between the members. --Brucker 13:46, 1 December 2006 (CST)
I believe it is the content of the page that he feels insulted by. I believe I have been respectful of him, welcomed him to discuss points, ask for his assistance in drawing relevance to the LG story line. What i object to is the simple deletion of pages I free are relevant......especically since the person who removed the relevance in the first place was himself! If there is an error i will be the first to change it but if i feel its an open issue I will put it back on the page and argue why it should be included. That is my right. I feel like I am being railroaded here. I dont dispute his knowledge but there needs to be room on the wiki for other peoples opionions if they can back them up. Therre is a lot of information on the internet. Some of it is disinformation. Its our job to clarify what is what and we do not accomplish that by simply deleting it and sending the user back to wilds of the internet.--modelmotion 14:51, 1 December 2006 (CST)
Liza Weil page
Sorry about that. I was just trying to reword Skeeta's edit. I wasn't sure where the information came from either, so I thought I'd at least try to make it sound less immature. Good thing you caught that though. OwenIsCool 13:35, 1 December 2006 (CST)
In Wanted pages, PM comes up close to the top, with 3 links leading to it. Do you think could be why people keep making it again? Maybe we could remove those links? OwenIsCool 13:38, 2 December 2006 (CST)
Although we might not truly have a need for the page, I note that it has several pages that link to it, and perhaps there should have been some discussion as to its fate before dumping it. --Brucker 17:37, 4 December 2006 (CST)
You know, the real problem with the tags is that they don't serve the purpose here that they do on YouTube. While many of us continue to speculate on the meaning of the strange tags, the "normal" tags have a purpose as well that we're not exploiting: e.g. suppose it wasn't obvious by the which video is about Bree eating cookies, and you wanted to find that episode. You could search for keyword "cookies", of course, and instead of every page on which the word appears, you'd only get the proper video.
On a related note, though, the problem of official vs. unofficial keeps rearing its ugly head when I consider issues of proper handling of info in LGPedia. Case in point, all the official videos are in Category:Videos, which has been identified as the category for official videos. It seems to me that these videos should be in the as-yet nonexistent category [[Category:Official videos]], which should be a subcategory of Category:Videos along with [[Category:Unofficial videos]]. There are other things, such as the categorization of the tags that bother me. The category system is good, but I don't think we use it quite right, or at least as efficiently as we could. --Brucker 11:02, 5 December 2006 (CST)
- Well, I think theoretically that every page should be categorized, right? I agree that we should break videos into those categories. We should also have Category:OpAphid videos (or maybe OpAphid and Tachyon should each have their own category? Because, while it's an officially endorsed ARG, its videos are not a part of the official storyline. I added Category:OpAphid on all pages that I could find that relate exclusively to OpAphid. I'm going to go and do the same for Cassie. Another benefit of categorization is that we'll be able to find pages more easily for future changes.--JayHenry 12:49, 5 December 2006 (CST)
- I haven't been following the OpAphid and Tachyon storyline well enoguh to figure out how to categorize it/them. Perhaps Tachyon videos should be a sub-category of OpAphid? I don't know. In any case, perhaps there could be a better designation than "Official" videos, since OpAphid is official, but definitely deserves a separate category. Maybe all videos are in Category:Videos, while those that are part of the official storyline are Category:Lonelygirl15 videos? Of course we still keep the blog categories, and also create a category for fan videos and subcategories for any series that gets bigger than, say, three vids? How's that sound? --Brucker 14:20, 5 December 2006 (CST)
Hi JayHenry, I'm glad to see you are enjoying the Owensad template I put together =) I recently changed it to the more uniform dimensions of the Userbox style so it doesn't throw off anyone's user pages if they put it in. Do you think I should move it to a template called Userbox Owensad? I think it might make it easier for people to find it if they want it (and it's good to be consistent), but I wasn't sure what a move would entail and if it would be worth it. Would appreciate any advice you can give on the subject, Thx! OwenIsCool 01:39, 6 December 2006 (CST)
Is there any official policy on capitalization for LGpedia? Article titles range from the capitalzation of only the first word, to the capitalization of all words, to the capitalization of all words except pronouns. I realize this is a very boring topic, but I think it is relevant in terms of making this pedia look professional. --Treefunk 15:31, 6 December 2006 (CST)
- Hmm... Obviously, video pages reflect the capitalization used in the actual video. Other than that, we should follow standard rules for capitalization. So Iron pills or The motel, but The Children of Anchor Cove or YouTube. Articles like The Story So Far... should be capitalized as if they are titles. Are there many pages jumping out at you as incorrect?--JayHenry 16:09, 6 December 2006 (CST)
- I think that the video pages were jumping out the most at me. Now that I understand the policy, I'll correct them as I see them. I've seen a lot of incorrect capitalization just within pages.
- The video titles should be capitalised or not as the video name itself. Most lg15 vids are capitalized every word, but there are a couple exceptions. --Brucker 09:32, 7 December 2006 (CST)
- I think that the video pages were jumping out the most at me. Now that I understand the policy, I'll correct them as I see them. I've seen a lot of incorrect capitalization just within pages.
video category templates?
I was thinking of the discussion we had about categorizing videos, and I thought of a plan for streamlining the categorization process. At the current time, we have about 90 official videos, 20 OpAphid videos, and who knows how many fan videos. If we want to recategorise the official videos, it will take 90+ edits to go through every single page and move them to the new category, right? That's annoying and time-consuming. Let me use Nikki Bower's videos as a small examle, though: I just created the template Template:NBR video which reads
<includeonly>[[Category:Videos]] [[Category:Fan videos]] [[Category:Nikki Bower videos]]</includeonly> <noinclude>[[Category:Video category template]]</noinclude>
if that template is added to every Nikki Bower video page, such as I have done with NBR1, then if it should happen that Nikki Bower becomes official and we want to recategorise her videos, we only need change the template. That being said, I think there ought to be a [[Template:Bree video]], [[Template:Daniel video]], [[Template:Gemma video]], [[Template:Jonas video]], [[Template:OpAphid video]], [[Template:Tachyon video]], and probably several others. We might even nest templates with a [[Template:Official video]] that's included in the first four I mentioned above. Or perhaps the template for Bree videos would include Template:Blog3 along with the standard categories and the variable "blogger" set to "Bree"? I've got a busy day today, but think about it and I'll implement it tomorrow perhaps if the idea sounds good. (One last note: maybe to keep the naming clear if the last idea is not implimented, they should be [[Template:Bree video categories]] etc., or something like that. --Brucker 09:51, 7 December 2006 (CST)
- This seems like a simple and elegant solution. It might not even be that hard to just add the categories into the Blog3 template.--JayHenry 11:55, 7 December 2006 (CST)
Hi JayHenry, After the deletions of Necronomicon and Kathulu Magick, there are now 30 and 18 (respectively) broken links leading to these (now gone pages). Perhaps we should turn them into redirects to the pages where the content will now be hosted?OwenIsCool 17:45, 7 December 2006 (CST)
- Yeah, we'll turn them into redirects, but I'm also going through and getting rid of the broken links on actual articles.--JayHenry 17:46, 7 December 2006 (CST)
- I see you did. That was fast! OwenIsCool 17:40, 8 December 2006 (CST)
Welcome back to LGpedia
Glad to have you back we missed you! --Iris2009 14:29, 21 December 2006 (CST)
Don't tease Ogog now, Jayhenry. (Apparently, I'm not very clever or slick.) In addition, I have some questions about the Simian Liberation Front and adding them to the LgPedia. However, upon speaking with its creator, he has a request. Whenever you get a chance (yikes, I know you're busy), please repond to the brief PM that I sent you on the forum. (I didn't want to bother you with an email for this minor matter.) Thanks! Ogog 13:39, 1 January 2007 (CST)
- Oh yeah, Happy Birthday! (I was lurking at the cove and saw your bday listed.) Ogog 17:22, 1 January 2007 (CST)
Breaking and Entering
it was information about Epogen, the stuff Daniel found.
seems that My vido page need some help i wont edit it because everone says im self promoting can i get a little help all videos are listed in the links section..thanks.. --Iris2009 13:49, 2 January 2007 (CST)